Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is interesting for you to see how we built our paludariums. I am member of the Dutch Dendrobatidae association and wrote for them how to built an hexagon Paludarium. The only difficulty for you is that it is in Dutch, but there are a lot of pictures. Please enjoy.
http://www.gifkikkerportaal.nl/Gifkikker/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=197

Kind regards, Hans Verbrugge

·
Administrator
8,805 Posts
This is where it's at.

Cubes are nice... environments are nicer.

Someday when I have the crafting ability and the time, this is what I would like to do.

I'm not crazy about using Peat blocks (a common Vivaria substrate) as that is not a renewable resource.

Then again I use actual peat, which is not much different.

Thanks Hans.

s

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The measurements are 71 x 40 x 80 cm hight without lighthood. It's a little one. I have also a corner Paludarium from 100 x 100 x 100 cm and 80 x 50 x 110 cm. On the URL page in the gallery is also a drawing with the dimensions of the glass plates. Stand on it and click with the left mouse button. You can see it bigger. Thats also for the pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert,

It's natural moss comming out of the peatbricks. Normaly you can begin with mosses out of the forrest. After a while you remove it pease by pease to give the natural moss a change to grow. Therefore i don't understand why the most of you don't use peatbricks. The backwall is made of thick cocospanels, fully irrigated and works as a biolagical filter. On the backwall are sticked the orchids, bromeliads and ferns (with sate sticks) and also the mosses are growing there. So the vivarium is complete selfsupporting. The only thing you must do is to fill it with RO water and so now and then wipe the windows. Of course you have to feet your frogs. This is of course a show paludarium and not a breeding tank.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott,

Vivaria stopped with tree fern root for the backwalls for some reasons. First of all fern root is a little asic. Second, fern root must be solt with Cites papers. Thirt, they will spare the rainforrest. They have devellopt the cocos panel for the back wall because its neutrall, and i know there is comming somthing new with the use of cocos for the backwall.
I don't understand why you have to renewall the peat bricks. In one of my paludariums it's more than 10 years old. I think that you can do so long with it because of the irrigated backwall (biofilter) and the good quality of the peat bricks.

·
Administrator
8,805 Posts
By renewable - I mean easily replace in nature.

Coco panels come from coconuts. And *lots* of coconuts are grown.

Peat Bricks come from Peat Bogs. It is mined out and not real replaceable (like Tree Fern Root).

I'd just prefer to use something that has less of an impact on nature. I agree that they work well in tanks.

s

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott,

So as you can see i live in The Netherlands. If i put a scoop in my garden for about 30 cm (12 inch) i have peat. In this area (Amsterdam) we live on peat. :) So if whe have to built something we need wooden poles of 18 mtr to built something on. My home is standing on 24 poles. We are surrounded with water and we are under waterlevel behind a dike. (polder) So peat is for us not something to care of. :wink: I have heared from Vivaria that he nows you. In the past you had some conversation by mail.

G

·
Yea Derek

If you got to the webpage you can see a piece ov UV-passing acrylic.
Try using Bable fish in sections and you can get parts translated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts