Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to get some help to build backgrounds with material that is available in europe.

Right now what i do is:
1. poliurethane Foam or styrofoam
2. I use sandpaper for the foam to get rough and the cement to adhere to it
3. I apply 3 to 4 layers of glue cement (i think its not called like that in english but its the cement used for tiles on kitchen)
4. I apply a acrylic colour mixed with the cement

Thats it, the problem is its really hard to apply the cement on the foam, the cement breaks with water and heat.

I am trying to get elastopur but i think here in portugal i cant find it, only importing it.

If you can give me suggestions i would appreciate =)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi,

I would like to get some help to build backgrounds with material that is available in europe.

Right now what i do is:
1. poliurethane Foam or styrofoam
2. I use sandpaper for the foam to get rough and the cement to adhere to it
3. I apply 3 to 4 layers of glue cement (i think its not called like that in english but its the cement used for tiles on kitchen)
4. I apply a acrylic colour mixed with the cement

Thats it, the problem is its really hard to apply the cement on the foam, the cement breaks with water and heat.

I am trying to get elastopur but i think here in portugal i cant find it, only importing it.

If you can give me suggestions i would appreciate =)
Hi,

I am from Spain. I use poliurethane and I tried to cover the foam with cement once and its nearly impossible..Cement is good if you let it dry slowly and it want brake down in the water. In the beggining the water will turn out little milky (White) and the PH will be high. You have to change the water a lot of times before you fill it up. You can spray the background with Vinagre to neutralize it , just spray the Vinagre on the background during some days and let it dry in..I read about it here.. Or you can cover the cement with Epoxy but it is really expensive or mix the cement with Acryl 60.

I tried with cement and epoxy but its easier to use
silicon and coco fiber to cover the poliurethane . works well

If you look at this Terribilis they are from Barcelona. You can buy everything there..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I am from Spain. I use poliurethane and I tried to cover the foam with cement once and its nearly impossible..Cement is good if you let it dry slowly and it want brake down in the water. In the beggining the water will turn out little milky (White) and the PH will be high. You have to change the water a lot of times before you fill it up. You can spray the background with Vinagre to neutralize it , just spray the Vinagre on the background during some days and let it dry in..I read about it here.. Or you can cover the cement with Epoxy but it is really expensive or mix the cement with Acryl 60.

I tried with cement and epoxy but its easier to use
silicon and coco fiber to cover the poliurethane . works well

If you look at this Terribilis they are from Barcelona. You can buy everything there..
Hi,

But to cover with silicon its a bit expensive since we have to cover it well or the peat will not adhere to the silicon, i have done that once and used like 3 tubes of silicone.
To use epoxy isnt it better to use elastopur ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi,

But to cover with silicon its a bit expensive since we have to cover it well or the peat will not adhere to the silicon, i have done that once and used like 3 tubes of silicone.
To use epoxy isnt it better to use elastopur ?
Hi again

1 jar of elastopur cost 30€ and I think it will cover more or less 60x60cm. The jar of elastopur also contains a small jar with color which you have to mix before you add it over the poliurethane (dont forget coco fiber). You can of course add the colour you want. You have to work quickly but not that quickly. Use gloves!!!!!! and its not poison.

If you use epoxy you have to cover the background with cement or something first other wise the background will corrode. Here in Spain 1 jar of epoxy cost 20€ and will cover more or less same area as elastopur. But you have to work very quickly, and add the coco fiber otherwise the background gets really shiny. It smells strong, its not healthy. Use gloves!!!

In my new viv I will work with elastopur and some silicone..Its easy to use silicone and you get really good results..it cant be that expensive? 8-10€ each tube?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again

1 jar of elastopur cost 30€ and I think it will cover more or less 60x60cm. The jar of elastopur also contains a small jar with color which you have to mix before you add it over the poliurethane (dont forget coco fiber). You can of course add the colour you want. You have to work quickly but not that quickly. Use gloves!!!!!! and its not poison.

If you use epoxy you have to cover the background with cement or something first other wise the background will corrode. Here in Spain 1 jar of epoxy cost 20€ and will cover more or less same area as elastopur. But you have to work very quickly, and add the coco fiber otherwise the background gets really shiny. It smells strong, its not healthy. Use gloves!!!

In my new viv I will work with elastopur and some silicone..Its easy to use silicone and you get really good results..it cant be that expensive? 8-10€ each tube?
yes, ok i will see the best option, the silicon you apply directly on the foam right ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts