Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I was wondering what the advantages / disadvantages of euro style venting is? how do you keep up the humidity in a euro vented tank? is that why they always have the channel of water at the front? would plants do better with this much venting?

Thanks for any knowledge you have on the subject
-Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
Euro tanks are designed to maximize viewing potential, so they generally are vented near the front viewing pane to keep the glass clear. They also often have vents near the rear of the tank to promote cross-ventilation for better air exchange.
This is generally very good for most terrarium suitable plants, as long as humidity isn't decreased too much. Having the pool up front would probably help to raise ambient humidity, especially if there is air movement across the surface, even though most tanks of this style that I've seen have multiple misting heads that run at least once per day.
Excess water buildup is probably siphoned off from the front pool area, or the tank might be drilled with a drainage tube.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As Dane has mentioned the front vent helps keep the front glass panes clear. While there is no false bottom, there is a raised bottom (placed at a slight slope) in the majority of these tanks geared towards the keeping of dart frogs. Excess water is then drained in to the moat area and when it begins to overflow it drains out. The water remains at a height of your choice depending on the type of drain kit you actually use. The moat area also helps with humidity.

·
Registered
915 Posts
we use and build this type of tank,i would also add to the above that a small mesh is critical for not only keeping in ff's but also regulating airflow and thus humidity We use 0.4mm stainlesssteel mesh,the top vent,is situated near the back, say aroun 2/3rds of the top total,thus giving a though flow of air from frontto back bottom to top .We use the version with a glass false floor and a drainset,so any excess water just flows to drainage.It appears from studying how different plants react under viv conditions that there are different zones of humidity,some places recieving higher airflow and some less resulting in different areas of humidity.In my humble beginners opinion this is of great benefit to the frogs as they can chose dryer or wetter areas as they see fit, but still have the high overal relative humidity as required.
The misting up of glass doors is still a problem espescially if the room temp is significantly lower than the viv temp,under normal conditions the bottom 1/3 2/3rds of our vivs is always clear and we are with every new viv experimenting with vents over the doors to alliviate this,but have not got it wired yet.Nice to see ones frogs though and not a wall of condensation. Its a great design i feel,very clever.One also avoids the issues of having to access the frogs via the top and potentially stressing them with this design and it is also good at keeping in ffs.
As always substrate and how it reacts is of huge importance but thats another issue
regards
Stu

·
Registered
316 Posts
I build a similar style tank here in the USA. I have tipped the ventilation screen horizontally to stop water from flowing down through it, and I tend to keep the top screen up front. This does help keep the glass clear as that the flow of air through the tank helps keep the doors at a similar temperature to the room. One of the best ways to combat condensation is with the use of a fan to circulate air within the tank. I build boxes that sit on top of the tank that draws air up and out of the tank and then pushes it back down into the tank. This keeps the fan away from the frogs and allows for circulation of air within the tank without losing too much humidity.
As for false bottoms, there are a couple of different ways to go about them. I have built them so that there is the thin moat in front and another style that lets the water pass under and create a reservoir. I consider provisions for drainage a necessity when using them. Whether it be a spot to siphon from or a true gravity drain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts