Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my copy of Reptiles Magazine in the mail today, and happened to notice an ad from ESU that caught my attention. They are selling 9" x 5" x 2" Mini-Aqualight fixtures that come with a pair of 9W UVB CF bulbs, MSRP $30 (found them as low as $25 without looking too hard). The fixtures each fit two bulbs. I have a 40G hex that I've been having a hell of a time finding a fixutre for. I don't want the fixture to hang over the edge and melt the plastic. I was thinking this might be a solution, and it already has the bulbs included. Does this sound like a good deal? Here's a pic:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That light caught my interest as well--CF bulbs in a tight, short fixture. My concern would be suspending the fixture above your hex to dissapate the heat generated...unless you've already considered that. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
I have that light fixture. It provides a lot of light for my vertical 10 gallon, but I don't know if it will give the same results to your 40 Hex. The heat generated by the fixture is the only problem I have with it, and that was fixed by elevating it above the tank. Fish stores sell those fixtures for a little cheaper, but you need to buy a 5$ bulb to replace the atinic bulb that comes with it.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I can totally relate to you're dillema, try finding decent light for a ten gallon hex :shock: . We have a tank made with a ten hex frame that we buillt to be two feet tall, we looked high and low and couldn't find anything decent that would fit, so we built our own that houses two screw in cfs, 19w each, sad to say, it isn't quite enough light at the bottom of the tank, though the top two thirds of the tank is bright enough to make broms flower.
I think you might wan't more light than one of these units can deliver, maybee two would fit, they are real nice looking units though.
I don't know if you're much of a DIYer, if you are, I think building a unit to hold a 55 watt quad CF would be perfect. Here are some examples
http://www.naturallighting.com/show_pro ... uct_id=126
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/re ... tbulbs.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts