Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Im starting to have FF escape and there going around the house and its really starting to annoy my parents and brother and they really dont care about my hobby so is there any possible way to catch them so there's less FF roaming the house.

Thanks jeremy

·
Registered
707 Posts
Jeremy,

Check out this thread:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=43044

How are the flies escaping? When you feed, from the tank, from the culture? There are different ways to deal with each. First, your vivarium top needs to be fly proof. If use a piece of paper to find gaps. I have some feeler gauges around, but usually just go for the paper. Large gaps will result in escapees. Also, if you use mesh normal mesh might not be fly proof, I use no-see-um from REI and nobody makes it out of the vivarium. Flies sometimes escape when you open the vivarium, I check from the underside and then tap off any flies that are clinging to the lid. Next, I use glass mason jars with coffee filters. I find that trimming the coffee filter so that there aren't many places for the FF or get trapped when you are transfering them around helps. Finally, the most likely time to lose flies is during feeding, so you might want to check to see if you are losing flies then.

Marcos

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks marcos,
sounds like many good idea's on this thread....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
carnivorous plants are always good at catching those pesky flies. You could litter your room with fly traps, pitchers, etc. :) also, attract them to a spot with fruit, such as a banana or what ever. My g/f hates the flies, but she is learning to love the frogs :) So, I know what you are going through,

Ed

Reactions: jerl77
1 - 4 of 4 Posts