Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get really absent minded sometimes and left the frog tank open. (Yeah, I really know I should not leave it open.) Any ideas of how to find it? To get it to come out of hiding?

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
If you don't find it in the first hour or 2 it will be a dried up little raisen you may never find. They dehydrate very quickly out of the viv and unless your collection is in a damp moist basement time is of the essence. Even here in Florida inside has about a 2 hour life expectancy outside the tank.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I get really absent minded sometimes and left the frog tank open. (Yeah, I really know I should not leave it open.) Any ideas of how to find it? To get it to come out of hiding?
Its unlikely that it will survive out of the tank for longer then 10 mins. Also, your frog was already in a compromised state.

I have to say, your level of responsibility was deplorable. I watched you on the boards and saw that your care and education level is not adequate for keeping PDFs. You should do more research before you purchase an animal. It seems as if proper PDF care was an afterthought to you. If youre so "absent minded", maybe you should get a pet rock.

Good Luck

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its unlikely that it will survive out of the tank for longer then 10 mins. Also, your frog was already in a compromised state.

I have to say, your level of responsibility was deplorable. I watched you on the boards and saw that your care and education level is not adequate for keeping PDFs.
I DID know quite a bit about frogs. Not quite enough cover. Yes, I admit I partly got into this as a result of a death of a friend....

·
Registered
956 Posts
dont be so harsh, everyone makes mistakes. I have had a frog escape before. I tore my room to pieces to find it, and I did. frog is still alive, healthy and breeding. Oh and 10 minutes is an absurd number, I dont even know how you came up with that. 2 hours is more like it and it wont be dead but it certainly will not be a happy camper. like frog face said put some dishes out...after you tear the place up. and when you get it place it in a shallow cup of water to force hydration. if he is really really bad you can use a watery mix of gatorade and water. I will say this, if you loose a frog you better put everything on hold and tear your frog room, basement, room, apartment, house, whatever apart and find him. and now you know not to leave the door open... lesson learnt hopefully.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
We've all had frogs escape....at least if your in the hobby long enough. Last fall I had a really nice pair of reticulated Auratus and in my haste getting on the road that day the male must have lept out while I was misting or feeding and I did not see it. Later that day my son said he found a dead frog on the floor, I figured a tree frog or green house frog from outside, not until I got back a couple days later did I realize what it was he found...oh man did that suck. But even after 23 years it happened to me so don't feel bad, just learn from it and try to make sure it does not happen again.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Once. after feeding and misting I sat on the couch to watch a movie and saw a pice of gravel on the floor...I was thinking, what the hell. then it moved! (Then I was thinking 4 letters). One of my luec froglets had gotten out. Snatched him up and back in the grow out tank.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I've never lossed a frog before(I've only had my first frogs for about, inlcuding today, 1 week. No missing frogs yet, but hey, the days still young :D), but from a combination effort between months of research and common sence, I came up with this Ideal: put a dish with water on the floor(prefferably under a easily viewable and accessible piece of funiture), and right next to it put a dish with a couple of peices of banana in it, then add some fruit flies to the equation by putting them on the bannana slices, and hopefully, the fruit flies will lead the frog to the dish. Keep checking it as often as possible.

So, hopefully water dish + bannana slices on another dish+ fruit flies = found frog.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It can happen to anyone, don't beat yourself up! I've had treefrogs, snakes, and geckos all get loose at one point, when you keep herps it happens even if you are very careful. The advice given so far has been good: set up a hydration station (catchy huh?) and maybe even try to put out some food (not sure if it will try to feed when its really stressed though). I lost my favorite arowana because I left the top open on its aquarium...came back from a weekend out of town and found it dried up on the ground...had even trained it to eat out of my hand...it was a sad day! Hopefully you will find your frog. If not, don't give up, just view it as a learning experience.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I think mordoria is just feeling a little frustrated. The OP has received lots of good advice in the past but has seemed reluctant to accept it. If this frog is not found, it will be the second frog death in a matter of weeks.

OP, I hope you will stick around and learn more from the board, and, try to be more receptive to advice from those with more experience.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I agree with eyeviper.....no need to be harsh, how is someone going to learn if your answer is get a pet rock? People need to stop thinking they know so much and start to realize we all were new at some point in this hobby.
exactly. I don't like making people feel bad about there mistakes, they learn from them. I learn from them. You can't learn anything from a pet rock, exept they brake windows farly easily, and they hurt when you throw them at somebody(I speak from experience :p JK).

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Yes but how does advice on how to keep our frogs prevent an accidental mistake, it does not unless the advice were "use a tank with a lid" and the poster decided it did not need one. The advice to put out some shallow water bowls is good, if the frog can find them it may save it's life but likely it is a dustball by now.

I think mordoria is just feeling a little frustrated. The OP has received lots of good advice in the past but has seemed reluctant to accept it. If this frog is not found, it will be the second frog death in a matter of weeks.

OP, I hope you will stick around and learn more from the board, and, try to be more receptive to advice from those with more experience.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You don't think he had to eat enough crow yet by coming on here admitting what he did? Everybody on here has made mistakes...EVERYBODY. If you haven't yet, you will soon enough.
Dishes of water on the floor and tear that room apart. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

I have to say, your level of responsibility was deplorable. I watched you on the boards and saw that your care and education level is not adequate for keeping PDFs. You should do more research before you purchase an animal. It seems as if proper PDF care was an afterthought to you. If youre so "absent minded", maybe you should get a pet rock.

Good Luck
Sir. You need to calm down. Please calm down. Sir.

Seriously though, that was aweful harsh. I agree with most of what you said, just not the method of delivery.

We ALL have made mistakes, especially entering into a new hobby. We're excited but ignorant. How is anyone to know how complicated this hobby and how important research is before getting our toepads wet?

What we need are responsible, tempered responses to newbie mistakes, otherwise we'll drive people away from our hobby(which seems to be the goal of some). Excessively critical and mean spirited responses are only going to shun people, worse, they might keep on trying, killing more darts, but now afraid to ask for help abd advice.

OP - Start tearing that room apart, use a humidiy box or water dish as that might work. I had 3 tiny vents escape early on because either I didn't fully shut a door or the door popped open. I found them after an exhaustive search and help from the nose of 3 over eager chihuahuas. Those same vents are happily breeding and producing healthy clutches today.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to those of you who responded kindly. I was catching a cold, I now realize--probably why I forgot about the cover.

No thanks to you who suggested I get a pet rock and others who responded harshly. You guys make me want to delete my account.

I'm afraid it is too late now, because I really have not been feeling well because of my cold and had a dental appointment this morning.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I think there was only one VERY harsh post. It happens to everyone at some point. I was working in the froglet room and had a Green Lamasi come out of nowhere and it was hopping towards me. I still have NO CLUE how he got out, but got lucky with that one...

Best

1 - 20 of 44 Posts