Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was getting sick of the smell off my fruit fly cultures so she bought a 14oz jar of Natural Magic Odor absorbing gel, (the citrus scent) to put by my cultures. It has a vented top and smells like oranges. Anyhow, this was a couple months ago, I just put it by the cultures and forgot about it. The other night, I got curious and popped the top off it, there must have been 10,000 dead flys in it. I also noticed that there hasn't been nowhere near as many flys wandering around the house. Just thought I pass this on.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is so funny! Greg buys those at Home Depot or Lowes too, and places them around the house. I just looked in a few of mine, and there are dead ff's in them!!! I'll have to put a few more out in the frog room, might help cut down how often I have to vacum in there (lol).

·
Registered
390 Posts
One thing I do to contain fruit flies is I set out jars of fruit fly food similar to if I were to divide a culture out, and after a few days, I quick throw a nylon over the top and set a new one out. Somewhere along the line, wild flies got in with my cultured ones before using this technique, so it probably only works best with the fliers, but it saves time that I'd have to spend dividing my cultures. With this technique, all I have to put up with is hundreds of flies in one location, as opposed to hundreds throughout the apartment. After a week or so of this, most of my escapees are captured.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Fruit flies are attracted to the smell of fruit. That's why they're called fruit flies. They would be attracted to the orange smell, or the smell of any fruit scented thing that came close enough to real fruit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts