Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I want to put some thumbnails in an 18” x 18” x 24” Zoo Med. I am concerned about frogs/froglets escaping from the gaps on the front doors. I attached pictures-the gap is between 1/32” and 1/16”. Is this large enough for a thumbnail froglet to fit through? I prefer not to silicone the gap - I’m OK with flies escaping - but I will if I have to.

Appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Depends on the kind of frogs - it's probably ok for most, but some thumbs can squeeze through some very small openings.

What is your issue with siliconing? Another suggestion would be to try a small bulb seal or a seal strip. Even FF escapees can get quite annoying over time...

·
Super Moderator
3,787 Posts
I just checked the gap on the one ZooMed that I have -- just a smidge under 1/16" (pretty poor build quality on these). Eyeballing that gap on mine, I'm not the least bit concerned about escapes of any parent-raised thumbnail, or any thumb froglet that you might purchase (that is, at a sellable size).

Using a ZooMed for a growout for new morphs of, say, reticulata might be a bad idea, but I'm sure that's not what you're going to be doing in there.

I agree that applying a bead of silicone would be easy and eliminate any worry at all. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you are worried about the silicone looking odd - use painters tape and an (old / expired) credit card or membership card. Cut a little square off one side (used to guide it along an edge for that straight bead) and then a small groove for the bead. Painters tape to cover any areas where silicone is not supposed to go.

Then off to the races - happy to share pics of my card library if helpful / that gives you an idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, all. eMCray sure, I’d like to see those pics. I just don’t like the look of siliconed doors that I’ve seen. Socratic, why would it be a bad idea for a growout of reticulata?

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Thanks for the replies, all. eMCray sure, I’d like to see those pics. I just don’t like the look of siliconed doors that I’ve seen. Socratic, why would it be a bad idea for a growout of reticulata?
The froglets are really small!

I would say the same for my growout of Ameerega pepperi. Despite being pretty large frogs the froglets are REALLY small. Smaller than my Ranitomeya sirensis and Ranitomeya uakarii froglets.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You can also buy that velcro sticky stuff, and just apply the soft side (it has a sticky backing) along the edges.

I wouldn't worry about froglets escaping. Even if they could fit (which they can't), they don't venture far from home when they are so small.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here you go; this is how I silicone my doors. They are sliding doors, so I need something to fill the gap. You can use clearer acrylic than mine if you so choose and make the line thinner.

For your doors (they look like hinged vs. sliding) I was suggesting to put some silicon directly here onto the edges that are already green-colored.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks!

No , sorry. How did you get that nice clear strip of silicone?
With the same tools as everyone else - and just use a super clear silicone. I haven't found any that are aquarium safe persay, but given the frogs are not touching this part / there is not that much, it should be ok if you let it vent out for a few days / week.

Thickness of the bead is also a key factor in how clear it will be.

There are a couple of products out there - here are ones I've used:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used some clear air tubing for aquarium air pumps. I just split it and cut to length of the door. Worked like a charm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts