Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you out there have worked with both the pool paint and the resin.

Honestly I find the paint more appealing, number 1, its safer and easier to find locally (I keep running into online marine stores that need credit, and I don't have that card), and number 2, it *seems less likely to catch on fire, as I would like to mix the paint with some kind of stuff like peat to make it not look shiny and offer some texture. I have taken in to consideration Bondo brand epoxy from lowes, but not sure if I trust the offgassing of styrene...but I believe that is only for fiberglass.

Has anybody tried to mix the paint with additives like sand and peat?

Also, there's that Porcelein two part epoxy paint for bath tubs by Liquid nails at Home Depot, that I believe Homer said works just fine. There's also some earthy looking Epoxy Shield by Rustoleum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I obviously know jack sh*t about chemicals, and that is why I keep asking so many questions, sorry :lol: ) but any two part epoxy formula that cures with a enamel coating is 100% waterproof and doesn't leach?

G

·
0 Posts
Could you tell me where you get your pool paint from and how much it cost?

I do not recomend putting the epoxy paint or fiberglass resin directly onto the polystyrene or great stuff foam as it will cause it to melt away. If you already have the desired look you are going for you might want to try cover the great stuff with tile adhisuve first then the epoxy paint. I have yet to do any of this but it is the recomended methode I keep running into.

Also the only reason you would need to use the epoxy paint or resin is if you are making a custom tank from plywood or painting or great stuff.

Mike P.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a local place called "KC Pools." I have been there once, but Jhupp has sent me a few online places. I don't think they require credit cards either.

Yes, but paint is still somewhat different than the actual resin. I hope Homer can respond to this, as he has used the Bathtub stuff, which I asked Jhupp once about (Liquid Nails brand, though here at Home Depot).

That's what I'm trying to figure out if I can mix paint safely with an additive without melting anything.

The concrete idea doesn't work well on a vertical surface, best apply it with the tank on its side. However, it might be a good idea to coat the concrete with epoxy to avoid the burning and melting.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a local place called "KC Pools." I have been there once, but Jhupp has sent me a few online places. I will guarantee they will have epoxy paint, but don't quote me on it. I don't think they require credit cards either. Check the yellow pages, and give them a call, I guess.

Yes, but paint is still somewhat different than the actual resin. I hope Homer can respond to this, as he has used the Bathtub stuff, which I asked Jhupp once about (Liquid Nails brand, though here at Home Depot).

That's what I'm trying to figure out if I can mix paint safely with an additive without melting anything.

The concrete idea doesn't work well on a vertical surface, best apply it with the tank on its side. However, it might be a good idea to coat the concrete with epoxy to avoid the burning and melting.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have seen a lot of aquaria painted with the pool paints, but I am a little scared to try those, as I would imagine that many of them are filled with antialgals and antimicrobials. I have used the 'Tough as Tile' brand epoxy paint over fiberglass to build a terraria from plywood, and it works pretty well (still watertight after 2+ years). I have not tried mixing it with any peat, etc, so I don't know about that. I certainly would allow for about 1 month for the stuff to cure and offgas before adding animals, though.

The problem with epoxy is that there are many different formulations, and each has its different properties, so it is hard to generalize. As for places to get epoxy paint or resin, I have found http://www.jgreer.com/ to have good prices on marine resins, and a guy out of New York sells military surplus (high quality) epoxy paint for very reasonable prices.

I personally would not recommend one part epoxy paints, as my experience with those has been that it takes weeks for the paint to reach a fully set state. The two part systems seem to work better IMHO. I hope that answered some questions, and maybe others here have other insights as well.

All the best,

Homer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts