Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
would also personally LOVE to know, starting to work on my branck now and the hard part is faux bark texture and what material to use?

·
Registered
370 Posts
There has been a few threads on how to make buttress roots. Seems like it's pvc or foam covered in water proof epoxy resin then scratched for texture, painted, and sealed. I've been unable to find the resin and when I have it's been way to much money. I think a casting or a real branch may work but you would still need to paint it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
They are using an epoxy putty. you can do the suggested method above but its a real pain with trying to get the foam to stick to the PVC and bla bla. Here is the epoxy putty, its like using clay but will become rock hard when its cured and you can do anything you want with it, bark texture, rock texture, mushrooms, vines etc etc.

her is one link
Plasti-Paste® II Trowelable Plastic Product Information | Smooth-On

and another-
Sculpturing Zoopoxies - POLYGEM, Inc.

its almost fool proof, the only hard part is painting. if you can paint then your set, if not then....get learning.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are using an epoxy putty. you can do the suggested method above but its a real pain with trying to get the foam to stick to the PVC and bla bla. Here is the epoxy putty, its like using clay but will become rock hard when its cured and you can do anything you want with it, bark texture, rock texture, mushrooms, vines etc etc.

her is one link
Plasti-Paste® II Trowelable Plastic Product Information | Smooth-On

and another-
Sculpturing Zoopoxies - POLYGEM, Inc.

its almost fool proof, the only hard part is painting. if you can paint then your set, if not then....get learning.
I have used the plain old zoopoxy before, never the sculpting one though. What kind of paint would you use? Thanks!

·
Registered
957 Posts
so many options. you can use pigments and color your whole batch, you can split your batch up and color each one differently and mix them together once done to create effects, you can use acrylic or latex paints or you can pigment epoxy resin and paint with that. one thing that helps with all epoxy no matter what, is roughing up the surface before painting or applying anything. It helps with bonding and prevent delamination. if you use acrylic or latex you have to seal it with a coat of clear epoxy, some ppl complain it makes things shiney but you can add texture with it and effects if you play with it at different curing stages.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wouldn't use plasti-paste II for your application. It will cure too fast and won't give you enough time to work with it. Its great for mother mold making though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.