Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please help. This is a serious question for lizard tanks, not PDF tanks. Hope Chuck, Antone, Devin, David L, Bonnie, Mike R or one of the lizard mavens jumps in! Here goes:

We're having our second heat wave here in NYC. Enter 10456 on the weather channel, you'll see what I mean. All the pets are fine--even the Pleurodeles and tree frogs. The rhipsalis, tillandsias, guzmania, cryptanthus, philodendrons, anubias are fine. The neos are okay. But the peperomias (angulata, scandens, "trinervula") all melted, and I have some long-term specimen quality angraecoids and Asian ant plants which I grew from babes, and they're getting hammered (see the tank around X-mas, below). I guess they can't take the warm nights. I thought people could grow these dudes in south Florida! Maybe they grew too large for their mounts, couldn't uptake enough water?

So if any expert could chime in: What old world epiphytes, specifically orchids, can tolerate a few weeks of real heat? I am going to specify the question in two ways:

1) You live in a place where it's 90 day, 80 night for 50 straight days.
--you do not have AC.

What begonias, epiphytes and/or orchids can deal with a warm to hot glass box?

OR:

2) You have a big set up for a pair of blue tree monitors. 85 ambient, 2 basking spots of 120-125. Humid but %$#!* hot. Are you really restricted to aglaonema, epipremnum, ficus, small palms? Any lowland orchid, melastome, ant plant, etc. you know can deal?

Here I always thought that the lizard guys just didn't want to be bothered with clawed leaves...

(I hope no one will be a wise guy and say Plantus plasticus...)

Thanks in advance. This is very sad for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Im not sure what to say about the old world stuff, George. I just don't grow them outside. I've tried a few ant plants but I just can't seem to keep them happy. Other than the obvious stuff, I grow very few things outside as I don't have a shade house or mist bench (how others around here grow those things). That being said, I have a 8" hanging basket full of Peperomia scandens, grown in full sun!

Reactions: Groundhog

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, David. I was specifically referring to vivarium culture, as my picture. So you grow your OW stuff indoors with some central air? I wonder if night time AC may be the only real solution.

Im not sure what to say about the old world stuff, George. I just don't grow them outside. I've tried a few ant plants but I just can't seem to keep them happy. Other than the obvious stuff, I grow very few things outside as I don't have a shade house or mist bench (how others around here grow those things). That being said, I have a 8" hanging basket full of Peperomia scandens, grown in full sun!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
For Orchids, look at mini Phalaenopsis species. I'm not into hybrid phals at all, but many of the species are fascinating. They are perfectly fine with high heat with warm nights.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
By an large, yes. I grow indoors in mid to upper 70's, 24/7. Vivs get a little warmer but never past very low 80's. I do grow a lot of stuff outdoors but not many terrarium plants. I have luck outside with most of my Aroids, misc. Shingle vines (Marcgravia etc), many Bromeliads, a handfull of new world Gesneriads and a couple Begonia. Epiphytic ferns are my outdoor Achilles Heel. I suspect I need a shadehouse/mistbench.

Edit: it seems your vivarium conditions are my outdoor conditions. :)

Thank you, David. I was specifically referring to vivarium culture, as my picture. So you grow your OW stuff indoors with some central air? I wonder if night time AC may be the only real solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts