Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please help. This is a serious question for lizard tanks, not PDF tanks. Hope Chuck, Antone, Devin, David L, Bonnie, Mike R or one of the lizard mavens jumps in! Here goes:

We're having our second heat wave here in NYC. Enter 10456 on the weather channel, you'll see what I mean. All the pets are fine--even the Pleurodeles and tree frogs. The rhipsalis, tillandsias, guzmania, cryptanthus, philodendrons, anubias are fine. The neos are okay. But the peperomias (angulata, scandens, "trinervula") all melted, and I have some long-term specimen quality angraecoids and Asian ant plants which I grew from babes, and they're getting hammered (see the tank around X-mas, below). I guess they can't take the warm nights. I thought people could grow these dudes in south Florida! Maybe they grew too large for their mounts, couldn't uptake enough water?

So if any expert could chime in: What old world epiphytes, specifically orchids, can tolerate a few weeks of real heat? I am going to specify the question in two ways:

1) You live in a place where it's 90 day, 80 night for 50 straight days.
--you do not have AC.

What begonias, epiphytes and/or orchids can deal with a warm to hot glass box?

OR:

2) You have a big set up for a pair of blue tree monitors. 85 ambient, 2 basking spots of 120-125. Humid but %$#!* hot. Are you really restricted to aglaonema, epipremnum, ficus, small palms? Any lowland orchid, melastome, ant plant, etc. you know can deal?

Here I always thought that the lizard guys just didn't want to be bothered with clawed leaves...

(I hope no one will be a wise guy and say Plantus plasticus...)

Thanks in advance. This is very sad for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Im not sure what to say about the old world stuff, George. I just don't grow them outside. I've tried a few ant plants but I just can't seem to keep them happy. Other than the obvious stuff, I grow very few things outside as I don't have a shade house or mist bench (how others around here grow those things). That being said, I have a 8" hanging basket full of Peperomia scandens, grown in full sun!

Reactions: Groundhog

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, David. I was specifically referring to vivarium culture, as my picture. So you grow your OW stuff indoors with some central air? I wonder if night time AC may be the only real solution.

Im not sure what to say about the old world stuff, George. I just don't grow them outside. I've tried a few ant plants but I just can't seem to keep them happy. Other than the obvious stuff, I grow very few things outside as I don't have a shade house or mist bench (how others around here grow those things). That being said, I have a 8" hanging basket full of Peperomia scandens, grown in full sun!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
By an large, yes. I grow indoors in mid to upper 70's, 24/7. Vivs get a little warmer but never past very low 80's. I do grow a lot of stuff outdoors but not many terrarium plants. I have luck outside with most of my Aroids, misc. Shingle vines (Marcgravia etc), many Bromeliads, a handfull of new world Gesneriads and a couple Begonia. Epiphytic ferns are my outdoor Achilles Heel. I suspect I need a shadehouse/mistbench.

Edit: it seems your vivarium conditions are my outdoor conditions. :)

Thank you, David. I was specifically referring to vivarium culture, as my picture. So you grow your OW stuff indoors with some central air? I wonder if night time AC may be the only real solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts