1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Epipedobates bassleri
  • Difficulty: Intermediate
    [/*:m:1giyqpki]
  • Location & History: Peru, discovered by Melin, 1941 (1)
  • Descriptions & Behavior:
    Note: These morphs represent unique subpopulations in the wild that share general physical characteristics, and for that reason different morphs should not be mixed. Please note the coding system used with the new morphs. Please make sure to use these when selling or transferring frogs. The color variations can make it almost impossible to visually determine the difference. As with many of the new imports these codes will become increasingly important. We owe the hobby to be responsible and keep these morphs true. Without this, sustating these animals in the hobby will be virtually impossible.
    'INIBICO black' - This morph has a dull to bright green stripe around the top of the head and then down the back with matching spots in the middle of a Black back, with blue belly and blueish black legs. This morph is from a particular range of mountains northwest of Saposoa, and are not related to the morphs below.

'INIBICO yellow' - From the Montane forests over 1,500 feet in the north of Departamento San Martin. Preferring temperatures in the mid 70's. (2) This morph has a solid yellow green back.

For an explanation of the codes used below please click here!

The three morphs below are found on a single mountain range running north to south for about 120 km, with a slow transition from yellow (north) to light orange, to dark orange/reddish (south). These frogs are all recent imports from Understory Enterprises.

EB-CAY - 'Yellow/Gold' - From the northern region of the mountain range this morph is the most stable and are a bright yellow/gold. "**These frogs should not be confused, nor mixed with the “black bassleri” which have been offered through the INIBICO project. The black bassleri are an entirely different frog, from a different mountain range far to the north of these." Read more at the UE profile...

EB-CHO - 'Orange' - From the central region of the mountain range this morph varies in color from yellow green to orange, with the greatest potential for variation. Read more at the UE profile...

EB-OHNS 'Orange Head UE'
    - From the Southern region of the mountain range this morph has a slight color variation from orange to reddish, and may have a more solid colored head. Read more at the UE profile...
  • General Care:
    Bassleri seem to like the lower 70's, and preferred wetter environments than some other frogs. While water features are not required. Small waterfalls, or pond maybe beneficial much like E. trivittatus. Compared to other species, Bassleri do better in larger tanks with a good deal of floor space. A 30-40g breeder with a good amount of leaf litter would be idea for a small group of 3-4.
  • Breeding & tadpole Care:
    Bassleri will lay in a petri dish under a coco hut or other covering, as well as on leaves and other smooth flat surfaces.

Tadpoles are best left for the male to bring a water feature, and a simple petri dish bottom with water will work as well. As with most Epipedobates the tadpoles can be kept communally.

Currently there have been many cases of SLS in the froglets from young parents. Recently there has been some success with larger tadpole rearing containers, with leaves added. It is possible that the parents also take a few clutches to work everything out and produce healthy eggs that can morph out without SLS.

sportsdoc (shawn) quotes:
    I can say they prefer coco huts and petri dishes but will lay on large philodendron leaves frequently as well.

Success comes with leaving the eggs for the male to care for, up until hatching or just prior.

They can be reared as groups, initially in smaller Solo containers with Almond leaves and Frog bites. I transfer them into 5 gal tanks, up to a dozen at a time at about 3-4 weeks old. They are voracious, and if not kept well fed, will nip tankmates.

They come out of the water with a large tail and can easily drown if they are not attended to, and pulled into suitable morphing containers early (IMO best if moved just prior to popping front legs).

SLS is common, but has decreased as the parents have aged. Communal rearing also coincided with my observed reduction in the incidence of SLS.

The Blk bassleri have produced highly variable offspring coloration. Some almost 95% blk, others 50% green.
    elmoisfive (Bill) quotes:
    I tend to raise them now 2-3 per 16 oz solo cup. Diet includes frog bites and spirulina/chlorella. Once they show signs of elbows, I am currently morphing them out as shown below. The water level is reduced in the 15 oz. cup to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch depth and long fiber sphagnum added. They easily climb out when ready and I rarely see drowning.

I've used the slanted shoebox approach as well for mass morphing but find that some of the froglets will wander back into the water and drown. I have no idea why that is the case.
  • Pictures:
    'Black' (Sean Stewart):

'INIBICO black' - sportsdoc (shawn)

EB-CHO - 'Central - Orange'
References:
(1) http://www.poison-frogs.com
(2) http://www.herpetologic.net
(3) http://www.understoryenterprises.com

Contributers:
Mark Pepper (UE photos and information)
Kyle Kopp (kyle1745)
Bill (elmoisfive)
Shawn Harrington(sports_doc)

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let myself or a moderator know.

Last Updated: 12/2/2007

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Only one morph in the hobby before the Peru imports... it was just yellow, basically the nominal coming in now from INIBICO but maybe a nearby population as well... should probably be kept separate for now, but is not being bred much anyways...

I work on this more tonight when I get back from steak dinner... mmmmmm cow.......

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok wow these morphs are going to be hard to the hobby almost as bad as the vents. Please offer any more information and pictures. Also I want opinions on if I am being clear enough on the importance of the codes and etc.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Two things...

I think its great that Mark gave the low down on the various bassleri in that particular area, but only EB-CHO Central Orange.... or better label Central - Orange (EB-CHO)... should be included in the morph guide. When the other two are introduced into the hobby, then we should include them.... we can include a link to the Central orange description on UE, which goes into the relations, but otherwise we're basically teasing people with frogs that are not available.

The other... don't use the name Sean Stewart. Yes, he's the American distributor, but the frogs aren't his project, they are INIBICO's project. A lot of work by a lot of people went into it, and I know a few would not be happy with the mislabel. Instead I'd label them 'INIBICO Black' and 'INIBICO Yellow'.

There is the old line yellow which is worth mentioning, but I don't really have an accurate description, and have only seen them once personally. They seem similar to the INIBICO yellows, likely the same or nearby population, but we have no way of knowing.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree and disagree...

I have removed Seans name as I always get the projects confused. Im not sure on removing the others morphs though, but will have to think on it. I want to show the codes and how they are used.

On a side not who can we talk to with INIBICO to get them moving towards a coding system, and it would be great if they used the same one as Mark does. We really need to work out a universal coding system and NOW. We have gone way too long without one.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
You'd probably have to talk to sean directly about that since he'd be the one giving out that type info anyways, and the best person to talk to.

I think the codes are important, and how the codes are used is important as well. This does not mean we have to list morphs that are not available to the hobby, and will not be available for an unknown time. It's like listing some of the frogs listed in europe that aren't here... what is the point? The morphs in the care sheets should apply to animals here.... I think the link to the page mark has about the codes is good enough to explain for now... or we can put together an info page about it. We'll need to go back and revise the triv and vent pages as well to reflect these codes. Save the descriptions, they will be easy enough to add when Mark starts publicly selling the frogs.

I think instead of "the codes used below" you might want to say "codes used with the Understory Enterprises Farm Raised imports" or something... they aren't random, but applied to one specific project right now.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Updating the morph info...

EB-CAY - 'Yellow/Gold' - From the northern region of the mountain range this morph is the most stable and are a bright yellow/gold. "**These frogs should not be confused, nor mixed with the “black bassleri” which have been offered through the INIBICO project. The black bassleri are an entirely different frog, from a different mountain range far to the north of these." Read more at the UE profile...

EB-CHO - 'Orange' - From the central region of the mountain range this morph varies in color from yellow green to orange, with the greatest potential for variation. Read more at the UE profile...

I think we should link to Bill's recent thread on how to keep stupid epi tads from drowning, as this has been happening a lot.

EB-OHNS 'Orange Head UE' - From the Southern region of the mountain range this morph has a slight color variation from orange to reddish, and may have a more solid colored head. Read more at the UE profile...

Care wise... some populations, such as INIBICO Yellow, are known to be able to tolerate up into the 80s (herpetologic site), they tend to prefer the cooler low to mid 70s to breed. Water features such as waterfalls are not required, but a small pond to deposit tadpoles is recomended.

Food wise, these frogs eat substantial sized food items up into the 1-2cm range as adults (tor's page), including crickets, houseflies, and waxworms.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'd say that bassleri "orange" photo is somewhat misleading; while the occasional one is colored that orange (maybe 3 out of the 16 I currently have), most are WAY less orangey. I'll try to shoot a few photos.

-Solly

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the main reasons for this statement:
From the central region of the mountain range this morph varies in color from yellow green to orange, with the greatest potential for variation.
It is my understanding the southern ones are more red, but have not be sold yet.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
All 3 forms are up for sale, thus the point of my update. The range in color is covered in the UE info sheet, but it would be good, WHEN MATURE, to show the variation in the adult frogs... do a group photo if you can get it. The photos available on UE where either wild adults, or juvies present at the facility in Canada... so not many pics of the mature animals.

Kyle, shame on you, you've seen the orange head in person at IAD! SNDF had them at their table, along with many of the fant morphs.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still think those were the EB-CHO, not the EB-OHNS, which are more red than orange. I do no think the EB-OHNS have come in yet... From my e-mails with Mark the EB-CHO can vary from green to orange, where as the EB-OHNS are almost always dark orange to red.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Currently I am getting clutches of 12-24 from my Blk bassleri (Understory) monthly. I have 2 breeding groups of 5.

I can say they prefer coco huts and petri dishes but will lay on large philodendron leaves frequently as well.

Success comes with leaving the eggs for the male to care for, up until hatching or just prior.

They can be reared as groups, initially in smaller Solo containers with Almond leaves and Frog bites. I transfer them into 5 gal tanks, up to a dozen at a time at about 3-4 weeks old. They are voracious, and if not kept well fed, will nip tankmates.

They come out of the water with a large tail and can easily drown if they are not attended to, and pulled into suitable morphing containers early (IMO best if moved just prior to popping front legs).

SLS is common, but has decreased as the parents have aged. Communal rearing also coincided with my observed reduction in the incidence of SLS.

The Blk bassleri have produced highly variable offspring coloration. Some almost 95% blk, others 50% green.

(I can shoot some representative pics if desired)

Shawn

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Some photos of the other color types also....

I can get some of Stewarts Yellow bassleri pics (Bill just posted some as well)

S

I know a local frogger with the Orange line, who can sent pics I bet....

also, the Orange head line is even brighter orangey/red

S

1 - 20 of 31 Posts