Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
so about over 7 months i built the background of a tank using foam and a safe silicone and tree fern fiber on the background and sides.
the acetic acid vinegar smell went away quite fast but ever since i made the background it has a sort of 'plastic' smell in the tank on the background. the tanks still empty never been set up i cant bring my self to house anything in there. is cured silicone odourless ??
do i just have a really good sense of smell haha? i mean over 7 months??? should i rip out the background and give it a clean?
thanks

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
is cured silicone odourless ??
Yep. Definitely. Otherwise, don't know what to tell ya. I'd also be leery of sticking animals in that. Maybe it could just be a plant viv?

I try to keep the plastic to a minimum. Pretty much quit using foam, except for the odd little ledge that I build bench-top and silicone in later.

Bummer. Good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Could be you got a bad batch of silicone. How quickly did it take to cure?

Is this tank sealed up usually? You could try venting it out and pointing a strong fan into it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think once you get plants in there and run some misting water through the system any chemical smell that still remains should wash away. Assuming you used standard products.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be you got a bad batch of silicone. How quickly did it take to cure?

Is this tank sealed up usually? You could try venting it out and pointing a strong fan into it.
yes that was my thinking however it looks cured, if i recall it cured the next day, after applying on the background and sides, the thing is, it doesn't smell like vinegar either which im assuming is what bad silicone would smell like. it wasn't sealed up in the start , and i aimed a small fan on it for over a week maybe.

What foam did you use?
waterfall pond foam, the black stuff.

I think once you get plants in there and run some misting water through the system any chemical smell that still remains should wash away. Assuming you used standard products.
yh i mean im really considering this, everything used is 100% safe for frogs. but the smell is bothering me its faint but its defiantly there, should i maybe give the background a good misting, and then aim a fan at it for a few days again? maybe that would help get rid of the smell?

·
Registered
226 Posts
In that case - probably a safe bet to start misting / adding water and see what happens to the smell. That's one of the many reasons why folks let their vivs grow out a bit before adding darts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts