Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had to make a sudden trip out of town due to a death in the family and were posed with the situation of not being able to feed our frogs for 3 days. While some of the more mature frogs could easily use a 3 day fast...a few are pretty fat...I had a concern about a number of fairly young froglets that didn't have the body mass reserves.

Having read with some interest a recent thread about vacation feeding with cultures placed into the frog viv, my only problem was that I didn't have cultures set up for that sort of use. So instead, I went and bought some flightless FF cultures at Petco (fortunately there were no fliers in these cultures) and bought some QuickShape 3 inch round plastic canvas pieces from Walmart. Removing the lid from the FF culture and replacing it with the plastic canvas, I was able to install a little FF factory in each of the frog vivs. This proved to be a big hit with the frogs as I caught a number of them sitting on the plastic canvas top snapping up flies as they crawled through the holes.

Going this route was a bit expensive but given the $$$ and time I've put into my frogs, well worth it. Not the way to go if you can plan ahead but seemed to work well in a crunch. Based on the way the cultures were producing, I suspect they could have worked for a longer time frame.

Bill

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah 3 days probably isn't something to be worried about but I also wasn't certain it was going to just be 3 days....and besides, why worry if you can do something about it? Maybe this will be of use to someone who has to dash out the door so to speak for a week or longer with little warning. I appreciate the perspective though...

I probably pamper our froglets a bit too much but we had only received our Cobalts 3 days before we had to leave town. While Sarah and Melissa of Quality Captives sell froglets that are in great shape, I wondered whether the change in environment coupled with denial of food for a few days would be a good idea and decided otherwise :oops:

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts