Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have a 4 pack of El Cope all came at the same time and same size a year ago. Fast forward to now, 3 of them are fairly good size compared to each other. 1 seems to be smaller by a good amount. I see that he (?) does eat but looks to be limited as the others will climb over him and then he sometimes just goes back in the viv till later. He moves around good and he does get the flies so nothing seems wrong with that side of it. Just concerned of his size to the other 3.

So my questions are:
1. Was i right to pull him and put him in a small tank to feed him?
2. How long should i keep him in the tank to watch him?
3. Tank is 2.5gal, i know that is small but so is he and i want to make sure he eats, is this OK?

I have melanogaster, hydei and tons of springtails in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Sounds to me like it's being bullied by the other members of the group.

In my opinion, yes you were right to separate him. I would keep him separate.

Typically, Oophaga pumilio don't do well in groups (give this thread a read, it's a bit outdated but still worth reading Oophaga pumilio caresheet )

·
Registered
375 Posts
I believe he's talking about Auratus. Yes you did the right thing. His size could be due to any number of things. More than likely he was underdeveloped from the start. Keep him separated and watch his eating habits. Pay attention to his movement. If he has awkward locomotion then he could have neurological issues. Good job on recognizing an issue and taking the right steps.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
I believe he's talking about Auratus. Yes you did the right thing. His size could be due to any number of things. More than likely he was underdeveloped from the start. Keep him separated and watch his eating habits. Pay attention to his movement. If he has awkward locomotion then he could have neurological issues. Good job on recognizing an issue and taking the right steps.
Ha! Serves me right for not double checking .

Either way, I'd keep the one separated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for confirm. He looks to be good with movements, overall body shape and is eating good.
I have the tank at my desk so i can watch him and honestly he watches me too! 😂

·
Registered
375 Posts
If he's eating and having no movement issues then that's great. See if he gains any size but more than likely he's going to stay undersized and may need to spend his life separated from the group. He really shouldn't be bred in case there is some kind of underlying issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
H
If he's eating and having no movement issues then that's great. See if he gains any size but more than likely he's going to stay undersized and may need to spend his life separated from the group. He really shouldn't be bred in case there is some kind of underlying issue.
. Thank you, I will continue to watch, regarding breeding, well this is a hoppy nothing is planned to leave here. But I will limited any chances! What do you guys think about me getting new froglet el cope and housing them with him in a new viv? Or is it best he is a loner?

·
Registered
375 Posts
H
. Thank you, I will continue to watch, regarding breeding, well this is a hoppy nothing is planned to leave here. But I will limited any chances! What do you guys think about me getting new froglet el cope and housing them with him in a new viv? Or is it best he is a loner?
He's fine as a loner. If you're not planning on letting any froglets out and you think he can fend for himself you can add him back to the group. But I would strongly recommend if you do that you limit breeding with that group and either keep the froglets or cull the eggs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts