Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I have a group of 5.5 P. Vitattus. They are all well into reproductive age and were said to be proven breeders. Now, I've pulled 3 batches of eggs from my tank and they all look like this:

So, I was wondering if there was anything you may be able to tell me that I'm doing wrong, if anything, that makes the eggs turn infertile/bad? Their tank is fully enclosed, and are misted 2x daily. So, humidity should be right up there at the top. Temps kept 71-73F during the day, dropping to about 68-70F at night. They're fed every other day a generous amount of Melanogaster FFs. There are temperate springs and white isos in the tank with them. The lights are on 12-14h a day if that matters. Until today, all they had to lay on were film canisters. I added 4 cocohuts with accompanying petrie dishes today. I don't really know if it would matter, but is it possibly because I'm NOT pulling them? Because theyre's nowhere for them to turn into tads at in the tank? I dont think I forgot to mention anything..feel free to ask questions.

Here's a photo of their tank (before the cocohuts).

Thanks so much in advance.
Mark

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
What supplements are you using?

Ed

·
Banned
55 Posts
What size is their tank? It is possible they are overcrowded.
I might guess it's a 29 bow front, but call me on it if i'm wrong. If it is a 29 though I would think a 5.5 is a bit overcrowded. Adding onto what Ed posted, have any supplements come in contact with the eggs?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're in a 46g bow. So the footprint is 36x17". The entire bottom, as you can tell, is covered with hiding places and the right side and front are covered with 4" or better of leaf litter. They came in breeding in a 20g.

It's quite possible they have been touched by a supplement-carrying FF. They are fed herptevite once a week, and calcium with D3 once a week, separate feedings. Both rep-cal brands.

Thanks for responding,
Mark

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Try a supplement with preformed vitamin A like Repashy Calcium Plus, beta carotene alone does not supply enough A and deficiency can lead to poor egg production. Take a look through some of Ed's older posts on the subject for an in-depth explanation.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Tony beat me to it.

I would suspect hypovitaminosis of vitamin A is at least part of the issue. Allen Repashy is now making a supplement to help alleviate the problem. Using that supplement somewhere between one to four times a month for several months at least can make a big change if the frogs have insufficient vitamin A. You may also want to consider adding one or more of the complete Repashy dusts in as a rotation or switch over to them completely.

It has absolutely nothing to do with some of the supplements possibly getting on the eggs.

Ed

Reactions: Markw
1 - 7 of 7 Posts