Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dwarf tincts laid 5 eggs two weeks ago on a leaf in the tank. I removed 3 that went bad. I can see the development of the last two. Should remove them from the tank, or let the male take care of them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can see the tad wiggling now. i am just going to leave the eggs for the male to take care of. Once the male puts the tads in the water I plan to catch them and move them to individual rearing cups.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was expecting them to hach last week, but it has been about 20 dayz and they are still in the eggs. It is either species or temperature that they are taking so long, i guess. Well the tads are getting big, still in the eggs. I have witnessed the male sitting and wiggling on the eggs, so i assume that when they hatch, he will take good care of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its officially been three weeks and the tads hav not broken out yet. Any body know how long dwarf tincs usually take? If its been 3 weeks is it likely they will not survive?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey ortega. I can't believe that no one has replied yet. I recommend removing the eggs/tads from the tank. It usually takes 2 weeks or so for my tinc eggs to hatch out. Take them out and incubate them. If you don't know how to do that just ask there are alot of different methods, I'll tell you mine.
The male, if you leave them in, will take the tads to a water area. Tincs aren't egg-feeders and need algae/fish food etc., to devleop properly. If you leave them in they'll need something to feed on in the water. If you take them out you can separate them ( because they are canniballistic ) and monitor their feeding and water quality. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks for replying. I have been itching to take them out, and i guess thats what I'll do now. I just don't know if they will be healthy because they are taking so long (3 weeks) to break out of the eggs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i took them out this morning. I am thinking they are taking so long to hatch because the temp is usually lower than 70 degrees. Not below 65.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My azureus take anywhere from 2-3.5 weeks to hatch. I have one batch where 2 tads hatched over a week ago and the other one still hasn't hatched. I was beginning to worry about him, but he wiggled today, I am spraying him extra to try and get him to hatch.

·
Registered
496 Posts
dont mean to hijack this thread, but I just noticed that my yellowbacks laid eggs in the petri dish under the hut.
I'm new to breeding frogs, so what's the first step to do? I noticed one that was rather white, so I'm assuming that's bad. I removed it. How do I incubate the eggs?
Thanks for help in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
People have different methods for incubating. I'll tell you mine.
I take a shoebox and line the bottom with pea-sized gravel. I then add water until it is just submerging the gravel and then I put the peti dish on top of the water. I also mist the eggs periodically and keep the lid on. I use pringles lids alot and they don't have tall barriers on the lid so the tadpoles can get off of the lid. With this method it stays nice and humid and if the tadpoles hatch when you're not around or you didn't know about it, they're swimming around in the water on the bottom of the shoebox. I can't have my tads/frogs with me in my dorm so they're in another building. perfect way of making sure that they don't suffocate on a paper towel overnight. There are other ways of doing it, it's just my method.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Any particular water formula for misting the eggs?

Also, how do I know if the egg is good or bad? Since it's the first batch, I'm assuming that these will probably go bad. I took out one that was grey. The other ones look like they have some grey on the underside of the black spot in the middle. Are those going bad?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use spring water with everything. RO water and distilled work fine also I believe. Bad eggs usually look grey/white with tincs. they usually tend to swell and look like one big blob. If you can take a picture of the eggs it'd be easier to tell, but for ones you're not sure of, wait a little while and see if you can see the tadpole start to emerge from both sides in the middle. Hope this helps some.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey bgexotics, 2-3.5 weeks to hatch eh. mine have still not broken out after 3.5, but they are wiggling around when i move them, so im not too worried, mabey just a little over anxious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the tads finally came out of their egg sacks tody. WHOO HOO! they are moving around and everything seems fine. I will keep them in a tuperware container for a day or two, but then move them to individual deli cups. I am also thinking about getting a 5 gallon tank and putting lots of plants and java moss and keeping them both in there. What do ya think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes sir, pictures are soon to come. Right now i have them in shallow water deli cups. I want to move them into jam jars with about 3 inches tomorrow or the day after. I have a peice of aquadic plant and two bambo shoots in the two jars. will this be a good set up? I also have to feed these things. Will they eat algea i collect from a fish tank?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are the pics. The breeding pair, eggs, tads in their current home and the jelly jars with bambo plant I will be putting the tads into tomorrow. I still need feedback on th jelly jar setup, and feeding questions. I don't think I will buy spirulla and chollera algea. I am keeping a grow lamp above the jars and I believe the tads will eat the algea that grows, the plants I added and occasionally I will feed them dead flies and crickets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts