Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Froggers,

Well it took my green and bronze auratus a bit of time to finally lay eggs, but now after 5 clutches (over the course of 2 months) the eggs are still going bad. From past pairs of frogs, it sometimes took 2-3 clutches until they got it right, but 5 seems a bit much, especially since these are large 12-14 egg clutches.
In terms of the most recent clutch, the eggs after one day began to loose shape and took on the form of an ellipse. But, they seem to be doing the same thing as the last clutch which remained completely black for 7 days. Any suggestions? Could it be the water i'm spraying the frogs with? I filter the water using a brita and put some dechlorinator in it (just started that after the second clutch), but still no luck. I even feed them the Rephasy Vitamins, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Craig and Nikki

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It sounds like they aren't getting fertilized by the male. Try leaving them in the viv a few extra days. Some folks pull them too quickly.
Hey Froggers,

Well it took my green and bronze auratus a bit of time to finally lay eggs, but now after 5 clutches (over the course of 2 months) the eggs are still going bad. From past pairs of frogs, it sometimes took 2-3 clutches until they got it right, but 5 seems a bit much, especially since these are large 12-14 egg clutches.
In terms of the most recent clutch, the eggs after one day began to loose shape and took on the form of an ellipse. But, they seem to be doing the same thing as the last clutch which remained completely black for 7 days. Any suggestions? Could it be the water i'm spraying the frogs with? I filter the water using a brita and put some dechlorinator in it (just started that after the second clutch), but still no luck. I even feed them the Rephasy Vitamins, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Craig and Nikki

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Once the jelly surrounding the eggs swells it typically inhibits passage of sperm so leaving the eggs in past that time the jelly fully swells for fertilization doesn't tend to help.

It may help developement if the conditions in the enclosure are better for development.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the Pm's and replys! I got a new clutch of 14 eggs with all showing signs of development. I left the eggs in for a total of 5 days and ...great success, ha.

Did the same with my Matecho's and same result! Thanks everybody-you made my week!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.