Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that males will call regardless of females present or mature. at what age should i keep my eye out for my citronella tincs to call? I believe I have two 13 month old males and possibly a 10 month old male (as well as possibly two 10 month old females). Also, will females produce and lay eggs regardless of fertilization (like chickens)? about when are citronella tinc females sexually mature enough to lay eggs? thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love the sound that tincs make when they call!

I have a male cobalt that started calling right at a year. He was larger, and I'm guessing the dominant frog in a 2.1 group. The subordinate male never called at all, until I moved him to his own viv. Now, they both call.

I have their lights on a timer ~12hrs a day, and they will both call for about an hour before and after the light goes on/off. Sometimes longer. Sometimes MUCH longer. And that's without any females bugging them. When the females want to lay, it can go on all day. :)

Do you know the sound? It's a quiet buzz. You'll miss it if there is much noise in the room at all. And if your viv is totally sealed, you also might not hear it.

I also have a female that laid her first clutch at a year. And another that was closer to two years, but I think that's quite longer than average. And in each case, they didn't lay until they coaxed a male into the love den. But they were both about ready to burst.

Good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do know the call, I've listened to a ton online. i haven't heard them yet - the tank has a fish tank hood on it so its sealed fairly well and i know their calls are very faint. i also have 2 aquariums in the same room with trickling filter water that would drown it out. I spend a lot of time watching my frogs though, especially during the summer - I am a Biology teacher so I'm home all day right now :) plus i got a new camera and they have been my models the last few days.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone know an approximate age that females Tincs will start laying eggs? and if they will lay eggs even if they are not fertilized (like chickens) or just if a male is present to fertilize them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is purely a guess, but I'm thinking that she will either:
1. Reabsorb them, if she hasn't produced too many, or
2. Lay them, if she's produced far more than she can hold.

So there you go...the obvious answer you probably already know. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts