Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pair of imitator have been laying eggs like crazy...about 5 clutches now, and in the beginning all the eggs were good and developed into tads, which are now in the water. As time progressed, the clutches would each have about one or two that would begin to develop then suddenly stop and go bad. The second to last clutch had three eggs...all started to develop, then two of the three went bad. The last clutch of three which I left in the tank looks like it's bad altogether.

My question is, is this an egg quality issue (i.e. pair has been laying too much) or is this something that I'm doing or not doing to allow them to go bad? I use water w/ blackwater extract to keep the eggs moist. I followed directions on the bottle...it doesn't look tea color though. Could it just be that the pair needs to stop laying for awhile? That was the point of me leaving the last clutch in there, but they look bad already...even before they started to develop. I was looking forward to being able to watch them care for the eggs/tads.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Kristen

·
Registered
230 Posts
My imitators have laid only one clutch so far and it has gone bad. So congratulations on getting multiple clutches. I can go back last summer when my cobalts started laying eggs. The first 2 clutches were good, but then for about 3-4 months all of them went bad, no matter what I did. Then one day they started developing. First just a few eggs and then whole clutches. Now 90% of the eggs are good. I attribute it to experience of the frogs, not the frogger.
So just keep doing what your doing, and have lots of patience. There may be a few tricks that other folks here will suggest and by all means try them.

-Ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts