Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do your frogs deposit eggs?? I have talked with many different breeders to try to nail down prefered egg deposit sites , to possibly be able to say such and such lay eggs here or there but never in ..... So I believe that we as a group should work together and find out what works best .
I have also learned that not all frogs of the same spiecies will lay in the same sort of spot . For example my imitators only lay in a upsidedown film container , while other keepers imitators lay on the glass or on a leaf that is almost vertical . Is half the fun trying to find what works best for your own frog , finding out what the individual frog prefers ?

Here are a few examples of egg laying sites that I've found works for me .
TINCS : on a leaf and or in a coco hut w/ petri dish .
Fantasticus : film container that is horizontal or between two leafs
Amazonicus :film container @ 45% angle with water filled up to the rim , broms
Terribiles: same as tincs
Vents: same as Amazonicus
Pumilio : on the end of leaf on broms
Retics: in a film container placed on the ground on it's side
Intermedius : same as imitators

These are just a few of my findings along with what I've been told by others . What works for me dosen't work for others, so it makes me believe that it's up to the individual frogs preference.
So what have you all found works best ?
Have fun ..
Darren Meyer

G

·
Eg Laying Sights

My Fantasticus both yellow and red headed lay 100% of the time in film canisters, which I lay on the ground. The females of both morphs always chase the males up the glass (20 highs) but always end up in the film canisters. I have never put any film canisters anywhere but on the ground of my terrariums for all species.
My Lamasi (which I no longer have..giant mistake) laid 100% of the time on the glass, always along the top edge of the tank, although film canisters were provided I never found eggs there.
My Retics usually lay in the film canisters however I have found eggs in Bromiliads, usually hidden down far into the leaf. They have also laid in some hidden parts of some driftwood (but they usually do this when they have been drinking).
I had a nice group of Silverstonei at the Cincy Zoo for many years and they would lay in petri dishes but just as often in film canisters which always amazed me as the females were absolutely huge.
One thing I have learned in darts is that there are many ways that are right, whatever works for you and your frogs is the right way.

G

·
My imitator like to lay on a smooth surface and in a shaded area either on a plant leaf or on the glass but they always are hidden and not in any light.
My Costa Rican auratus like to lay under coconut huts but I did have my pair lay on a Pringles lid out in the open I had fed them waxworm larve on a day before,I watched the whole thing, very cool.
Mark W.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My auratus lay under one of their two huts, my tincs lay in there hut, and my leucs lay in their hut too, although my friends leucs only like to lay on the broms in their tanks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Imitator - 90+% of the time on the glass, rarely between leaves, once or
twice in the film canister - 45ish degree angle

Fantasticus - Between two leaves and on fresh oak leaf litter on bottom of
tank.

Vents - Film canister @ 45 ish degree angle

Bast. pumilio - eggs on leaves low/shaded spot in terrarium where higher
humidity seems more constant. Tads deposited
in 'larger', spacious brom - randomly distributed -
front/back of terrarium - easy to watch development.

Green pumilio - Eggs in open on pothos or at tip of brom leaves. Both
high and low in 18 gal terrarium. Tads deposited and
reared in dense, multi-pup brom in hardest to
observe/reach area.

Orange/Green pumilio - Eggs deposited in very dense pothos leaf
clusters where humidity is higher. Never
deposited tads in larger borm, preferred dense
broms with more, smaller water holding areas.

Orange Amazonicus (?) - In Fireball hybrid brom - lower leaf bracts. Also
in 45 degree angled film canister w/ suction cup
attached on glass approx 4" from floor of
terrarium.

Red Amazonicus - In Film canisters - 45degree angle- placed 3/4 high in
18 gal tank.

Salvias tricolors - On leaves that are parallel to ground

Santa Isabel tricolors - On leaves that are parallel to ground and in
45degree angled film canister pressed into floor of
terrarium

E. zaparo - In film canister embedded in floor of terrarium at 45 degree
angle.

D. lamasi - Standard - Between two leaves, on leaves perpendicular to
ground and on glass.

G

·
Nice thread Darren:

imitator: used to be 100% on glass until I added white opaque film canisters turn 30 degree down facing. Now they only lay in those and ignore all the others.

vittatus: all over the place. When it was just plants they would lay on top of horizontal leaves and on top of big brom leaves that were around 0-20 degrees. When I added a coco hut with pringles lid and pothos leaf they would lay on the lid under the leaf. And now they have dug a burrow in the substrate and started laying in the back of this hole.

auratus c/r: lay mainly in coco huts with petri dish and pothos leaf

pumilio pc: have been laying on flat leaves, mid tank, open to the light.

opps... time will add more later tonight...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the replys ! I tryed this topic a few month ago and noone replyed . I believe that I dose help other who have tryed all sorts of things w/ no luck . I am having a hell of a time w/ my vents . Have never gotten them to breed. Mr. Werner told me to dry them out , remove all water supplys , broms , film containers ect... then after 3 weeks re-introduce laying sites and mist more . He says it works everytime eggs after 24 hours . I'm at week 2 , keep the old fingers crossed . Hve tryed everthing else . Everyone says vents are really easy , and they produce too much for them and the hard thing is to get them to stop. I wish !!! They are driving me nuts !!
Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
986 Posts
My humble observations:

Vents: Mine prefer vertically placed film canisters over angled, but will also lay in a horizontal canister on the substrate. They also vastly prefer the milky clear film canisters over the black or brownish film canisters. I have had probably 60 eggs laid, and only 3 were not laid in the milky clear canister.

Leucs-- A lot of people I know have difficulty getting consistent breeding (apparently a lot of people don't have that problem, as well), but I have just recently had my first clutch laid in a petri dish under a coco hut.

Tincs--Will lay just about anywhere. Typically use petri dish under coco hut, but if unavailable, will burrow like the zapata previously mentioned (my New Rivers have a little burrow under the waterfall :? ), or will simply blow them all over. :roll:

Just my experience.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks Mark I placed a film container on the ground last week in the Fantasticus tank . Eggs !!! Twice in 2 days ! I always placed them up in the middle of the tank w/ a peice of pothos inside , but it's not been working any more . Now on the bottom seems to be the prefered site.
Darren

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is a good thread, sorry I missed it before.
Homer, it is funny how different some frogs are...... our Leucs lay eggs
everywhere in the enclosure, in the coco hut, in the leaf litter, on a
brom....... and all of them are fertilized, unfortunately this is my SLS
study pair

As far as others go:
terribillis in coco huts
tincs in huts or on horizontal leaves that can support the weight of the
animals
Lots of other frogs exhibiting breeding behavior, but no eggs
Ed

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
other frogs

Slavias and Santa Isabels Tricolors - laid on pothos parallel to the ground as mentioned before. I didn't provide film canisters. The tanks were 20 gals 1/3 pond, 2 seriously overgrown with pothos land area. They usually laid in the open.

D. truncatus - Almost always in the coco hut provided on a petri dish w/ or w/o leaf. Once in a heavily leaf littered tank when not provided coco hut (they were in a holding tank while I redid their original tank). I had serious infertility issues though.

My imis and imitator bred everywhere....but I'd usually find eggs on the glass, occassionally a plant. I had black film canisters on the ground they loved to bed down in, but not breed. Never tried the upside down film canister thing which is why they probibly bred everywhere :)

Blue Jean pummies - I never saw eggs. My guess is in the leaf litter (had tons at the bottom) but there was no way I was going to go digging for them since distrubing them could make the parents ignore them. This was more of a case of "whats that little red thing hopping around..... OMG its a baby!"

As for my other darts..... they either never bred or I can't for the life of me think where I found eggs..... if I did. I tend to be the lazy "let the parents do the work and pick out the tads from the pond" type of person. This means two things... one, I never really knew my success rate (how many eggs were laid, were fertile, made it to 6 months etc.) and two..... I was ALWAYS chasing babies around when I never even knew there were eggs. This happened a LOT with the tricolors lol.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have had fantasticus, amazonicus, truncatus and blue jeans lay eggs in 1/2" and 3/4" (for the truncs) pvc (slipxslip) elbows. These are placed on the substrate slightly angled ,with the openings up, to accumulate a small amount of water in the bend.

John R.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I recently took some advice from this post. I read from a few people that for vents they fill up their film canisters all the way and get eggs in those. So I cleaned out my vents film canisters and filled them up. The ones with suction cups couldn't be filled all the way due to the holes for the suction cups. So they leaked out a bit, but the one one the floor I filled up to the top and rested it against the back wall so it stayed full. Well....the next morning I had eggs!!!! :D They laid in the one on the floor! Thanks for the input everyone, it worked for me!!

-Shelley

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my Zaparo finally laid ! Gave them a number of places to lay , filmcontainers on the ground , cocohut w/ pitri dish, leaves, guess where they laid ? On cork bark !! The lumpiest, uneven, roughest spot in the whole tank! That's a new one for me :? .
So now after all the imput (thanks) I now have concluded that you just need to find what your individual frog prefers. It dose help get the imput of others though , to help w/ getting on the right track.
Happy egg hunting !!!
Darren

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
then what?

I plan on trying the upside down film can with my imitators, who started laying eggs(none good yet) twice on glass, once in bromeliad, and twice with a single egg here and there. ?feeder eggs? maybee?
So you're imitators lay eggs in a film can then what? Take the film cans out and wait for them to hatch, then dump them out, or just add water?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Does that mean you fill up a film canister full of water? Wow! This a great thread, but very conflicting/confusing. I am going to experiment with several film cantister options. I am going to put them in different angles and use the black and clearish white ones. Hopefully, I will post what works for mine!

Oh by the way. I have a pair of imitators and a trio of vents that will be the subject.

snmreptiles said:
I recently took some advice from this post. I read from a few people that for vents they fill up their film canisters all the way and get eggs in those. So I cleaned out my vents film canisters and filled them up. The ones with suction cups couldn't be filled all the way due to the holes for the suction cups. So they leaked out a bit, but the one one the floor I filled up to the top and rested it against the back wall so it stayed full. Well....the next morning I had eggs!!!! :D They laid in the one on the floor! Thanks for the input everyone, it worked for me!!

-Shelley

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well my imitators never laid in the upside down cans...but maybee I didn't give them enough time to get used to them. (I left them for about two weeks)
After I gave up on the upside down cans, I put them open side up, with the mouth tilted so it touched the cork background, behind some mini-spaths.
I checked them two days ago, and found two big clutches in one of the cans (the more secluded one), and none in the other.

The question I still have...What then?
I scooped these ones out with a spoon, but I think I would be better off just leaving them attached, and replacing with a fresh can.
To those having succes with hatch rates...What do you do, take them out, leave them in?
Take care,

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have used a few different methods to collect imitator eggs. When I first started, my imitators would lay on the glass. I enjoyed watching the development. Once the tad would get large enough, I would take it off the glass with a razor blade, cut the egg and rear it in a cup. Once winter arrived, I began to lose some eggs. The tads would form but then die off, never completely forming. This led me to take the eggs off the glass about 48hrs after being laid. I would then smear them on a leaf and house them in a small sterilite. I would then keep the sterilite inside another unoccupied tank to limit extreme temp fluxuation. I have also let the parents rear tads to a certain point. I know some on the board really enjoy doing this. There is more than one way to skin a cat...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts