Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that egg clutches left in the tank of a pair of Retics that I had and a pair of yellow Fantasticus develop much more quickly if left in the tank than if I pull them. They develop to the point of hatching at least a full week earlier if left in with the parents. I don't know why parental care of a clutch would cause them to develop so much more quickly (and it seems a higher viability rate) than when pulled to develop in a petri dish.
Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?
Mark

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Developing Eggs

I used to worry about feeding tads as soon as I could after hatching but after watching a male lamasi carry a tad for 3 days around the tank I kind of figured a couple of days is no big deal. Now i usually wait 2 days after hatching before i feed them, for me at least seems they do a little better with a "rest" period after hatching. It is interesting to here tads were bigger after being carried longer....maybe dart frogs are related to Discus fish, nothing like a delicious meal of body slime...or so i've heard.
Mark

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eggs Developing

Actually the tads feeding off of the parents was a joke but as Ben mentioned those that stayed on the parents longer were bigger. Would be interesting to know why they were bigger. I did also notice those left in the tank (eggs that is) as Ben mentioned seemed stronger.
I would suggest anyone having problems with egg development in their frogs to leave clutches in the tank until almost ready to hatch to see if that helps.
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.