Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that egg clutches left in the tank of a pair of Retics that I had and a pair of yellow Fantasticus develop much more quickly if left in the tank than if I pull them. They develop to the point of hatching at least a full week earlier if left in with the parents. I don't know why parental care of a clutch would cause them to develop so much more quickly (and it seems a higher viability rate) than when pulled to develop in a petri dish.
Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?
Mark

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey mark i have noticed the same thing...also there seems to be a better chance of strong tads when left with the parents. On a similar note I have observed that lugubris will carry their tads for a decent amount of time even with suitable water deposition...i used to catch the male and put him in a small water filled tank until the tads would fall off and then put the tads in their aquariums but i saw that when I left the frog carry the tads for as long as it wanted the resulting tadpole was easily 1/2 times larger than the ones i shook off....has anyone else noted this? So i wonder what the tads are eating? has anyone looked into this before? Ben

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Developing Eggs

I used to worry about feeding tads as soon as I could after hatching but after watching a male lamasi carry a tad for 3 days around the tank I kind of figured a couple of days is no big deal. Now i usually wait 2 days after hatching before i feed them, for me at least seems they do a little better with a "rest" period after hatching. It is interesting to here tads were bigger after being carried longer....maybe dart frogs are related to Discus fish, nothing like a delicious meal of body slime...or so i've heard.
Mark

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I wonder if Jack Wattley has any insight to this matter...being that he is a discus breeder. Mark, that is very interesting about the tads feeding off the body of the parents.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eggs Developing

Actually the tads feeding off of the parents was a joke but as Ben mentioned those that stayed on the parents longer were bigger. Would be interesting to know why they were bigger. I did also notice those left in the tank (eggs that is) as Ben mentioned seemed stronger.
I would suggest anyone having problems with egg development in their frogs to leave clutches in the tank until almost ready to hatch to see if that helps.
Mark

·
Registered
621 Posts
Is it possible that warmer vivs temps than where you hatch out the eggs, could cause the faster times. Ive been leaving my vent eggs in the viv, and this is causing way higher survival rates. I used to remove and most would go bad on me even though i could tell they were viable.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Re: Eggs Developing

A small amount of urine is released from the cloaca, which prevents a clutch of eggs from contracting fungus and going bad. I wonder if there are other medicinal properties at work that might be aiding to an increased growth spurt.

markpulawski said:
I did also notice those left in the tank (eggs that is) as Ben mentioned seemed stronger.
I would suggest anyone having problems with egg development in their frogs to leave clutches in the tank until almost ready to hatch to see if that helps.
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts