Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is this stuff so exspensive. Home Depot is charging $79 for 5- 2' x 4' pieces, which they do not have in stock. Amazon and Zoro are even higher priced. Where do you get your egg crate for a reasonable price?

·
Super Moderator
3,153 Posts
I remember it being about what bulbophyllum said last time I priced it. Any chance that it's suffered the same insane price increase that wood and other construction materials have shown?

Edit - I may have missed in your original message that you were quoting a price for 5 pieces. Correct? If so, that is in line with my memory - it's just unlikely that you will need 5 pieces!

Mark

·
Registered
848 Posts
seems like the normal price, if for 5 pieces. Sometimes they have broken ones they will sell for a discount too.

Reactions: fishingguy12345

·
Registered
763 Posts
These have gone up in price (from 7 years ago) and they're hard to find locally. I think it's simply because businesses aren't installing those kind of overhead lights any longer.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks. Will gravel work just as well?
Oh god no. That's just a ton of weight to add. There is a filter foam that people have started using. I can't remember the name of it. Hopefully someone chimes in here because I plan on using it for my next build.

Reactions: Encyclia

·
Registered
763 Posts
Egg crate is very expensive, at least in Canada.

Filter foam (you can get many different brands of it) works pretty nicely.
Matala filter foam is the Cadillac of filter foam
Matala! Thank you my friend. That was the word I was looking for.

·
Super Moderator
3,153 Posts
What is the Fiat of filter foam? Might it be that filter foam is simple enough that you don't need the Cadillac? I have no idea - I am an egg crate guy :)

Mark

·
Registered
763 Posts
What is the Fiat of filter foam? Might it be that filter foam is simple enough that you don't need the Cadillac? I have no idea - I am an egg crate guy :)

Mark
Matala, from what I've read, is very firm compared to normal aquarium filter sheets.

I've always been an eggcrate guy myself but I'm not paying that much for something that used to cost me $5 a sheet. For this latest build I found fish dividers that were basically just black eggcrate. But that ended up costing a little less than the matala. Add in spacers and screen and it's basically the same price.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Matala, from what I've read, is very firm compared to normal aquarium filter sheets.
That's an understatement.

I've used egg crate, Matala, and filter foam, and prefer filter foam. It is easy to cut, doesn't need a substrate barrier for ABG (IMO; your mileage may vary), is available in a range of sizes/thicknesses, and looks good from the outside.

I've not used gravel as a drainage layer, but I've played with fish tanks for enough decades to know that moving a glass box with any amount of gravel in it is a bad idea -- especially a glass box that's not engineered to hold much weight. I personally wouldn't try to save $20 and make my next simple move a complete teardown.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
So the filter foam is not elevated above the floor of the tank? You just put down filter foam, ABG mix, and leaf litter?
Yes, that's what I've been doing on Exos I use ABG in. The foam is the 'void space' -- it functions exactly as does the air space in an egg crate drainage layer. The depth of the foam is dependent on the water removal situation; I've bottom drilled the last couple, and so I've used 1" (1.5", maybe? Something less than 2" anyway; I"d have to go measure) foam since essentially no water pools under there.

For InSitus, I use a layer of turface under calcium clay, but that's a sloped bottom viv so doesn't need an actual drainage layer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Perhaps the technique the OP is looking for is rounds of PVC with 1 piece of egg crate for support on top...not sure how that compares in cost to filter foam, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts