Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

what do you use as spacer for your egg crate false bottoms?
(To hold the pressure of the items above the false bottom - roots, ABG and so on...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Do you mean on top of the egg crate? Most people use window screen or gardening/weed screen.
Below, to hold the egg crate up off of the bottom: abs or PVC pipe pieces.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Since you often need to get large panel of egg crate when you buy it, you can use the extra egg crate as its own spacer. Just cut small rectangles of egg crate and stack them.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
Since you often need to get large panel of egg crate when you buy it, you can use the extra egg crate as its own spacer. Just cut small rectangles of egg crate and stack them.
That's a great idea. :)

I typically cannot cut PVC pipe square without resorting to the table saw, so alternatives are useful. In one viv I used short stacks of inverted 1.5 oz portion cups -- the ones people use for feeding geckos. (They make great tad deposit cups, too.)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

I typically cannot cut PVC pipe square without resorting to the table saw, so alternatives are useful. In one viv I used short stacks of inverted 1.5 oz portion cups -- the ones people use for feeding geckos. (They make great tad deposit cups, too.)
I use my mitre box and hand saw, i get it pretty square :)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts

YOu can easily cut PVC pipe into even, square pieces with just masking tape and a hack saw. Use the tape to mark a straight and square line around the pipe and then follow it carefully with the saw blade. You can cut up a number of pieces pretty easy if yous blade is fresh and if you use the thinner drain PVC drain pipe.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
That's a good tip, too, hydrophyte. I've used it before. Maybe my idea of 'straight' is too strict. :)

Reactions: dwllama

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
That's a good tip, too, hydrophyte. I've used it before. Maybe my idea of 'straight' is too strict. :)
You can cut a cyllinder really nice and square that way, then sand it down with coarse sandpaper to make it totally straight. . That's what I usually do with plastic pipe instead of using the chop saw if I want it to be precise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my first build I used 2" PVC pipe couplers. These are made to be all the same size. My second build I did use the excess egg crate as the sides and middle supports. I used small zip ties to bring it together and I love using pet window screen. I use weed block on top of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts