Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Dendroboard,

Here is my third clutch of ranitomeya variabilis eggs, the first two moulded over and perished.
The photos below depict two eggs that seem to be heading down the same pathway, with the other two still showing some hope- eggs were laid on the 11th of this month.

How would you go about trying to save these two non-terminal eggs?

TIA!

Drinkware Automotive lighting Automotive tire Finger Gas

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Dendroboard,

Here is my third clutch of ranitomeya variabilis eggs, the first two moulded over and perished.
The photos below depict two eggs that seem to be heading down the same pathway, with the other two still showing some hope- eggs were laid on the 11th of this month.

How would you go about trying to save these two non-terminal eggs?

TIA!

View attachment 302632
I probably wouldn't bother to be honest. Your male hasn't quite figured out fertilization yet. There's a good chance they all go bad before the end anyway. Typically I would keep them together and if the others make it great. If not, the male will eventually get it right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably wouldn't bother to be honest. Your male hasn't quite figured out fertilization yet. There's a good chance they all go bad before the end anyway. Typically I would keep them together and if the others make it great. If not, the male will eventually get it right.
Is there a way to know if one of the little fellas has fertilised them successfully by looking at the eggs?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Is there a way to know if one of the little fellas has fertilised them successfully by looking at the eggs?
Nope. Once they start to mold over you can pretty much guarantee they weren't fertilized. Especially if it happens consistently.

I have at least 2 male variabilis in my tank. One gets it right and one still hasn't figured it out. I've got 5 clutches in the tank molding over right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts