Dendroboard banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It all depends really. Sean Mckeown had a 40 gallon 36 x 18 set up in 1994 thru 1997 that I know of maybe longer. It housed a pair of cobalts and a pair of leucs. the cobalts hung out on an upper area of a hill and the leucs hung out down by the water and climbed the front glass. they didn't really interact.
Of course Sean had a zoology degree and was in charge of Hawaii zoo thru the 70s and 80s before starting Vivarium. He had a little better understanding. His passing was a loss to the hobby

·
Registered
841 Posts
just to chip in on the mixing topic, cue the scary music, my large viv has been doing well with its mixed population. it is way to grown in for me to count frogs in but i am sure that there are still auratus, bakhuis tincs, leucs, vitatus, A. pepperi, and starry night tree frogs doing well in there. i have not seen any young. i have seen a male transporting tads. im not sure if they young are being destroyed by competing species or just not being produced regularly. as i dont ever intend to remove or sell frogs out of this viv i dont see the lack of reproduction as a negative. when i get time to clean out the overgrowth i will post new pics.

·
Registered
374 Posts
just to chip in on the mixing topic, cue the scary music, my large viv has been doing well with its mixed population. it is way to grown in for me to count frogs in but i am sure that there are still auratus, bakhuis tincs, leucs, vitatus, A. pepperi, and starry night tree frogs doing well in there. i have not seen any young. i have seen a male transporting tads. im not sure if they young are being destroyed by competing species or just not being produced regularly. as i dont ever intend to remove or sell frogs out of this viv i dont see the lack of reproduction as a negative. when i get time to clean out the overgrowth i will post new pics.
How large is "large"? That sounds like a lot of frogs regardless of species, I am interested to know how massive this tank must be.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Maybe Troy will "pitch in" about his cross breeding "experiments." I am still curious where these frogs went or if in his collection now.
The alanicits, I had were in a 150 gallon Viv at my parents house, sadly all eight I had are no longer living... My mom and dad weren't the best frog owners. :( , but they tried and had them living for a few more years after I moved. The other 8 that I had went to Richard. Last time I talked with him about them, he had said they started breeding for him, and was not going to release any offspring, But that was years ago....so I'm not really sure what the status is with his alanicits. Richard would have to fill you in. So as of now the only crosses I have and currently breed are "Giant Regina", which it seems the majority of the hobby does not consider them a cross.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts