Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I found an easy way to remove bad D. azureus eggs from a clutch without disturbing the other eggs too much.

1) Using a clean turkey baster, squeeze the bulb and place the tip around the bad egg.

2) Now, keeping the bulb squeezed, press the tip against the petri dish in which the eggs are laid and slowly slide the egg away from the rest of the clutch.

3) When the egg is obviously dissociated from the gel surrounding the rest of the clutch, release the bulb and suck the bad egg up into the baster!

It's very easy, and it causes very little trauma to the rest of the clutch. Your results may vary, of course, but this seems to work for me!

Hope I've helped!

-John

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention that all of this assumes your frogs have laid eggs in a petri dish, or its functional equivalent. I don't think this would work too well if they decided to deposit eggs in a brom!

-John

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent! I stand corrected... and a bit embarassed... I thought I thought of this first. :oops:

I suppose I was a bit excited it worked so well for me! :wink:

-John

G

·
I've always used a turkey baster, eye dropper, medicine dropper...etc for this. It's also easy to do with a small piece of dry paper towel. Be careful with paper towel...it absorbs eggs quick and could take a whole clutch with it.

-Bill J.

G

·
BillJohnson said:
Be careful with paper towel...it absorbs eggs quick and could take a whole clutch with it.

-Bill J.
I agree with bill. I have had this happen a couple of times, and there wasn't much I could do about it. :cry: But then Kevin and I switched to the turkey baster, and we have had nothing but complete success. :D

G

·
Marty said:
I tried a shop vac once, but it didn't work too well for me :lol: .... :twisted:

HAHAH :lol: But hey...they sure work great for removing the water and debris from a tank that is being reused. :wink:

-Bill J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts