Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter wants me to buy a pair of 'red' dart frogs. I'll be the one taking care of them but can't decide on species. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Red galacts, or the red morph of A. trivittata are probably your best bet. Red vents would be another option but they're normally shy and can be a bit less forgiving.

Most of the other red frogs are considered 'advanced' species (and usually run $100+ a pop to boot)... i.e. pumilio/retics.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have seen Red Galacts and they are very bold. I was told that they were easy to keep. Great personality if we can use the term to describe frog behavior. Very cool species.

Red is not well represented within the hobby. Those with significant portions of red tend to be intermediate or advanced species for one reason or another.

Yellow, green, or blue would have been so much easier! :D

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can try some tricolors. They have a nice burgundy red color with lighter stripes. They breed relatively easily, have a nice call, and aren't to expensive either.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Would she be open to orange or is she sold on red? Orange would throw open the doors to a bunch of different choices like Orange Galacs (much cheaper than reds), Intermedius imitator, Tarrapoto imitator, Varadero imitator,
Chazuta imitator, Iquitos vent, Orange Terrebilis.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You can try some tricolors. They have a nice burgundy red color with lighter stripes. They breed relatively easily, have a nice call, and aren't to expensive either.
Can't believe I forgot about anthonyi/tricolors... I even have a group of six Rio Saladillos coming in later tonight. I am slow.

Santa Isabel anthonyi will be pretty darn red if you supplement them with SuperPig... the google image photos DO NOT do them justice (without superpig they're more of a bubble gum pink).

·
Registered
167 Posts
If she has her heart set on Red I’d suggest Red Galacs as well.

They are decent size, not overly shy (especially once they have been settled for a while), and not overly complicated to keep unlike many pumilio. It’s my understanding that a Red Galac is considered “intermediate” due to the higher degree of difficulty getting them to breed. Also if you did want to get them to breed, from my reading, most wont actively try until they are well over a year old.

But, if it's red she wants Red Galacs are beautiful frogs, and probably your best bet imho. :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
that is oophaga pumilio 'bastimentos' (thats a guess at locale, but i'd say a pretty good one. it could be cemetery or red frog beach)

not a suggested beginner frog (however it is commonly suggested as a first pumilio)

i would personally try and get some mantella aurantiaca. they are red, cheap, and cn live in dense groups. they sound like the best option IMO.

galacts are expensive (if you can find them) at about $125 (seems average from what ive seen)

tricolors/ anthonyi are small fast frogs, they are reasonably priced at between $40-$100 but they are small and do not handle the beginner mistakes like a larger frog would. they do well in pairs or trios

pumilio are small, expensive (from $70-200) and along with their small size belong to a group known as obligate egg feeders, meaning that offspring can be difficult to raise to adulthood. most are also WC frogs that have WC problems. this makes them a bad choice. these are also only suited to pairs or trios.

mantellas can be hard to find, but aurantiaca have recently flooded the marked and can be had for $25-60. you could probably even find someone with tadpoles which i would imagine could be bought for about $10 each. they are larger frogs (than the pums or tricolors), and they do well in groups. they can be temperature sensitive though.

james

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm going to hold off on the 'red' frog as I'm leaning towards pumilio but want to get a bit more experience first.

My Azureus are doing great and breeding well.
My next species will be the good ol' Leucs that should be just as easy.

I'm producing decent cultures of isos, springtails, and ff's but want to really iron out any kinks before handling a more sensitive frog.

From what I hear, Pumilio aren't very hard to raise (with the proper setup) but the breeding and young juveniles are difficult.

I have looked up info on all species mentioned.
Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts