Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was building some new racks when I felt the earthquake in south Jersey.I wasn't sure what was going on until I looked over at my moss bins and noticed the water sloshing from side to side!Anyone else on the east coast notice it?For you west coasters I know this is typical for you guys but not here.

Lou

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah!!! I was at my school for band camp and my friend sitting next to me said do you feel shaking? And i put my foot down and said yeah, I do. And then the building started to shake! It was soooo cool!!!!

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
I've lived in the west so I knew what it was when the couch started shifting back and forth and the cats went scurrying for under the bed and the dog started barking. No structural damage here.

Ed

·
Registered
70 Posts
felt it in central pa... are earthquakes usually felt over such a large geographic area?

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've lived in the west so I knew what it was when the couch started shifting back and forth and the cats went scurrying for under the bed and the dog started barking. No structural damage here.

Ed
I was wondering if you felt it Ed.My birds and the rest of the crew were all scrambling.I remember as a kid experiencing a little one but this one was noticeable!

Lou

·
Registered
343 Posts
I thought maybe the fish I was eating was bad until I saw the light swinging. Damn near crapped my pants. Oddly enough, my dog and cats didn't really react until I ran out with the dog.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Felt it here in hoboken thought it was the people jackhammering next door at first.
Damn, am I the only person that didn't feel anything? I was downstairs in my building on the first floor during my lunch hour.... people on my floor (10th) said that their desks were shaking, etc etc.... The building contacted FDNY, 911, etc, and they said it was no cause for evacuation. Meanwhile, everyone was going outside while they were announcing that we weren't getting evacuated. I'm kinda disappointed since I've never felt a quake before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like Ed lived on the West Coast so I knew what it was right away. But, did Ed immediately run and stand in the doorway?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I felt nothing, my mom in PA felt it, and it shook the heck out of her tanks. She said the news said it was felt from NC to MI. And yes, plate movement can be felt as far as the fault line exists. I am in no way an expert, though.

Glad everyone is OK!

JBear

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
I like Ed lived on the West Coast so I knew what it was right away. But, did Ed immediately run and stand in the doorway?
No, I sat there and laughed... Where I was sitting, it is right next to the support beams and if it took down the house, it wouldn't have mattered if I was in the door way or not... as the doorways run under and above the beams...

Ed

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
I was wondering if you felt it Ed.My birds and the rest of the crew were all scrambling.I remember as a kid experiencing a little one but this one was noticeable!

Lou
From what I could tell the couch was shifting about 2 inches back and forth on the floor. Since it wasn't on carpet, it had nothing to prevent it from sliding a little with the force.

Ed

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
Damn, am I the only person that didn't feel anything? I was downstairs in my building on the first floor during my lunch hour.... people on my floor (10th) said that their desks were shaking, etc etc.... The building contacted FDNY, 911, etc, and they said it was no cause for evacuation. Meanwhile, everyone was going outside while they were announcing that we weren't getting evacuated. I'm kinda disappointed since I've never felt a quake before.
It was kind of like standing in a boat in light chop as the swaying of the boat is kind of like the swaying caused by the quake.

Ed

1 - 20 of 38 Posts