Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious how well these guys do with raising their own tads? I have broms that stay full of water and a puddle so they have places to put eggs maybe not enough but they do have options. How well would they do or do they have to be pulled?

Will they lay in film canisters?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
They will not raise their own young via egg feeding. They will transport tads themselves to bodies of water (I allow them to transport to a small dish in the vivarium) but will not do anything to raise them. Mine basically only lay in canisters (their favorite is this one canister 6" off of the ground), but they are willing to lay in other places, such as large leafed plants or in the leaf littler.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will not raise their own young via egg feeding. They will transport tads themselves to bodies of water (I allow them to transport to a small dish in the vivarium) but will not do anything to raise them. Mine basically only lay in canisters (their favorite is this one canister 6" off of the ground), but they are willing to lay in other places, such as large leafed plants or in the leaf littler.
hmm okay so pulling is def required which is fine im just trying to get a idea. I plan to redo their viv so i may try to do more puddles and places to transport to. How I have my viv not i dont have anywhere to suction cup canisters to the glass.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also how big of a viv do most ppl keep groups in? I have a group of 5 but only see 4 on a regualar basis im hoping my 5th didnt die. there in a 46 bow now but may down size idk yet

·
Registered
532 Posts
I keep my trio in a 20 gallon long. Mine have never layed in film canisters or in the leaf litter. They only lay their egss one the leaves of the plants over the water area. Just a tip, if you do have puddles, make them easy to get to b/c it sucks trying to fish tadpoles out of ponds while trying to see if any frogs have jumped out. Have you documented the markings of your frogs b/c it is really easy to tell them apart if you have pictures of them.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
hmm okay so pulling is def required which is fine im just trying to get a idea.
Not exactly. If you have enough ponds (or a big enough one) and not that many tads, they will be able to live off of the fruit flies that get in the water and the algae/detritus that will build up in the pond.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This is from an old post I had about anthonyi tads that mentions anthonyi shouldn't eat algae: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/breeding-eggs-tadpoles/64957-help-anthonyi-eggs-tads-2.html

Algae is not good for anthonyi to consume. The plants are fine to add for them to forage off of but put the ones without algae. They also do need much light. If you have algae growing you have too much light on the tads.

Mitch, I know you have bred yours a lot successfully...have you fed yours algae before and noticed any negative effects?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts