Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any pictures of where E.anthonyi 'salvias' has been found? or any anthonyi for that matter? I'm designing a 90gallon tank and want it to look as close as possible to their native habitat...

if there are no pictures, is their native range rocky[i.e. are they found near boulders or cliffs/outcroppings?] ? are they found near rivers?

Also, is it true they tend to breed sonner/more often with running water?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sounds like you're aim is to create a biotope. I knew a cool guy who is/was into freshwater biotopes. He told me once his favorite was an Amazon River environment he created. Biotopes require way more time and research than I have patience for but if it's your goal, go for it!

I posted a video of my new viv which will house Santa Isebels eventually in the Plants section if you want to take a look. It's not a biotope though.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you're aim is to create a biotope. I knew a cool guy who is/was into freshwater biotopes. He told me once his favorite was an Amazon River environment he created. Biotopes require way more time and research than I have patience for but if it's your goal, go for it!

I posted a video of my new viv which will house Santa Isebels eventually in the Plants section if you want to take a look. It's not a biotope though.
yes and no, i would like the hardscaping to be as close to their natural habitat, but for plants, I'll try to get as close to biotope as possible, but i'll use look-a-likes or hybrids if i cant find the species plants...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Cool! Sounds like an interesting and rewarding project. I'm sorry I can't help with photos though. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
See if you can get a copy of Christmann's "Dendrobatidae"...the first volume is dedicated to Epipedobates anthonyi and E. tricolor. I bought the entire set just for that first book.

For the most part they are found around trickles and streams coming down canyons and mountain sides. Although the areas can be somewhat exposed and sparse, they areas around the seeps and creeks are usually pretty heavily vegetated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Handy with GIS at all? If so, this paper should be helpful:

INTEGRATING PHYLOGENETICS AND ENVIRONMENTAL NICHE MODELS TO EXPLORE SPECIATION MECHANISMS IN DENDROBATID FROGS
Catherine H. Graham, Santiago R. Ron, Juan C. Santos, Christopher J. Schneider, Craig Moritz

It does a really great job with some interesting evolutionary models, AND... gives you some detailed range maps for your project. This should help you figure out the large scale habitat types.

Cheers,

Afemoralis

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See if you can get a copy of Christmann's "Dendrobatidae"...the first volume is dedicated to Epipedobates anthonyi and E. tricolor. I bought the entire set just for that first book.

For the most part they are found around trickles and streams coming down canyons and mountain sides. Although the areas can be somewhat exposed and sparse, they areas around the seeps and creeks are usually pretty heavily vegetated.
thank you!!! so would a waterfall be of any benefit? would it promote breeding? the tank is a 90g

Handy with GIS at all? If so, this paper should be helpful:

INTEGRATING PHYLOGENETICS AND ENVIRONMENTAL NICHE MODELS TO EXPLORE SPECIATION MECHANISMS IN DENDROBATID FROGS
Catherine H. Graham, Santiago R. Ron, Juan C. Santos, Christopher J. Schneider, Craig Moritz

It does a really great job with some interesting evolutionary models, AND... gives you some detailed range maps for your project. This should help you figure out the large scale habitat types.

Cheers,

Afemoralis
thank you, that article was very helpful

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
thank you!!! so would a waterfall be of any benefit? would it promote breeding? the tank is a 90g
Not in my experience--just some spot of water for tadople deposition should work just fine. They also deposit in small puddles, etc. next to the streams, so flowing water isn't necessarily mandatory.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would you happen to have any pictures???

or even a link to the video that was supposedly posted[earlier reply, poster didn't provide link]???

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Not in my experience--just some spot of water for tadople deposition should work just fine. They also deposit in small puddles, etc. next to the streams, so flowing water isn't necessarily mandatory.
I agree as well. No waterfall is necessary. I generally have a small pond as well, but its not needed if you pull the eggs. They will breed as long as you mist them well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts