Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Dutch Rana, here's what and Alanis looks like (second photo) and an Oelemarie (first photo). The photos are of different sizes, unfortunately..

Richard.

Attachments

Reactions: Peter Keane

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And an D.t. Oelemarie from the Peruvian Frog Import site.

Attachments

Reactions: Peter Keane

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion, mostly off the board, about 'the alanis problem' There is a concern that some frogs being sold as alanis are actually olemarie and then the fear goes further that there have been pairings of mixed adults resulting in a blending of morphs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion, mostly off the board, about 'the alanis problem' There is a concern that some frogs being sold as alanis are actually olemarie and then the fear goes further that there have been pairings of mixed adults resulting in a blending of morphs.
I have seen this situation and have been confused by it myself.

·
Registered
553 Posts
White feet (olemarie) vs. yellow feet (alanis).. (as I remember) both from Suriname (not near each other).. I would imagine these can be cross-bred and sold off as the breeders preference. I think they have or had a 'tinctorius morphguide' on one of the Dutch sites.. perhaps Dendrobatidae Nederland??.. I think they even verify the probability of hybrids and if 100% found in wild!.. I would imagine this site is still up as it should be very useful. But, I always went by the credo white feet olemarie.. till I saw my first Oyapok.. Oops sorry don't wanna throw that one in there too, LOL..

Peter Keane

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
My 'Alanis' pair from Patrick Nabors, ca 2004, sold in 2008 when I moved.
Notice they are white banded, but their offspring look totally different.
This is the pair that later sparked a debate as to whether or not they were Oelemarie.
Patrick Nabors told me they were 'Alanis' even after I questioned that.

Their offspring :-0. WTH

My current [2011] 'Infer-Alanis' Pair, who produce offspring that look like this pair, but hard to say if they look different from the 2004-2008 offspring above.

·
Registered
973 Posts
See if I didnt know any better I would have guessed those alanis to be olemarie. It's confusing because ive seen olemarie that look just like those.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I like this thread.. Every alanis frog I've ever had.. always had broken yellow bands/points on it's back and most had the three larger 'yellow' spots one on it's nose and over each eye. (the typical alanis look).. I have seen some that I thought were Saul/Yellowbacks being sold as alanis (??) Then along came an inferalanis.. (I don't know what differentiates it from the alanis).. can anyone assist on that? Is this where some of the confusion came into play?..

Peter Keane

·
Registered
553 Posts
My 'Alanis' pair from Patrick Nabors, ca 2004, sold in 2008 when I moved.
Notice they are white banded, but their offspring look totally different.
This is the pair that later sparked a debate as to whether or not they were Oelemarie.
Patrick Nabors told me they were 'Alanis' even after I questioned that.

Their offspring :-0. WTH

My current [2011] 'Infer-Alanis' Pair, who produce offspring that look like this pair, but hard to say if they look different from the 2004-2008 offspring above.

Thanks Shawn for the pictures.. Your 2011 alanis parents are what I remember with the three yellow spots over each eye and tip of it's nose. Very striking frogs by the way..

Peter Keane

·
Registered
553 Posts
Found the 'Tinctorius MorphGuide'
see color morph 17 vs. Color morph 26

at: Dendrobates tinctorius morphguide

These [(alanis) and two others, patricia and a third new tinctorius ??] were first imported by a female breeder from Texas (If I remember correctly) in 1999. This is also noted in the description of the alanis.. BUT still does not mention an origin for inferalanis??? anybody know??

Peter Keane

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Found the 'Tinctorius MorphGuide'
see color morph 17 vs. Color morph 26

at: Dendrobates tinctorius morphguide

These [(alanis) and two others, patricia and a third new tinctorius ??] were first imported by a female breeder from Texas (If I remember correctly) in 1999. This is also noted in the description of the alanis.. BUT still does not mention an origin for inferalanis??? anybody know??

Peter Keane
Well to confuse things even further...Sean Stewart says his alanis are from infer-alanis stock...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well to confuse things even further...Sean Stewart says his alanis are from infer-alanis stock...
Yikes, theres that word again.. inferalanis.. LOL.. I am trying to recall the breeder who originally imported these back in 99.. I'm hoping she could shed some light on these.. I have had this question in my head for years.

Peter Keane

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yikes, theres that word again.. inferalanis.. LOL.. I am trying to recall the breeder who originally imported these back in 99.. I'm hoping she could shed some light on these.. I have had this question in my head for years.

Peter Keane
Was it Patrica from Vanishing Jewels or some such thing? Patrica morph is named after her.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Was it Patrica from Vanishing Jewels or some such thing? Patrica morph is named after her.
BAM!!!.... That's it!!... Thanks Jeremy.. Thanks.. now I can sleep tonight!!... Wow, I've been trying to pull that name out of my head for at least a year and duh, Patricia (named after her by the exporter).. signed, Very Happy.. now, if I can just rmember her last name.. G.. something... LOL.. j/k.. Thanks again..

Peter Keane

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
BAM!!!.... That's it!!... Thanks Jeremy.. Thanks.. now I can sleep tonight!!... Wow, I've been trying to pull that name out of my head for at least a year and duh, Patricia (named after her by the exporter).. signed, Very Happy.. now, if I can just rmember her last name.. G.. something... LOL.. j/k.. Thanks again..

Peter Keane

Patricia Grueneberg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts