Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just wondering but some tanks look like they got grass and is grass bad for a tank or any thing?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't think grass would do very well in the tanks, too wet I think. Java moss does sort of look like grass, but if you really want a plant that looks like blades of grass you can try Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and or Mondo Grass (dwarf variety). They are sold at most pet stores as fully aquatic plants, but should do fine as long as their roots are kept wet ( they usually do best planted in gravel rather then a soil substrate).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe a fine mix of kentucky bluegrass and sensimillia. j/k sorry could not resist the caddy shack reference.

I would think grass would quickly take over. And the java moss does look like grass when its growing well.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Most grass does not like to be too wet. Also, grass tends to grow rather tall unless mowed frequently. Ever seen an overgrown yard? Think about the types of places that grass grows: open, dry areas, or moist soil that drains well. I agree that grass-like plants such as dwarf mondo grass might be best. My mom has been fighting the battle of the yard for about 20 years.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
re: grass

Arklier said:
Most grass does not like to be too wet. Also, grass tends to grow rather tall unless mowed frequently. Ever seen an overgrown yard? Think about the types of places that grass grows: open, dry areas, or moist soil that drains well. I agree that grass-like plants such as dwarf mondo grass might be best. My mom has been fighting the battle of the yard for about 20 years.
In addition to all of this most grasses are annuals and need a resting period, which is often difficult to duplicate in terrarium conditions. Mondo grass is easy to grow and it doesn't get that tall. I have tried it before and it worked well; however, it took over and just got real ragged looking so I had to put an end to it.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked out soe of the Aquatic grasses, go to tropica and check them out, im sure some would do quite well with the tops emergant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts