Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Going to sound stupid ( I think)... I've fed bean beetles but you can feed dubias(nymphs) to your darts????...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Newly born nymphs you can to the larger darts that have a good feeding response.

Bring home some crickets and you will learn to LOVE your Dubias!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I got some dubias to feed my Chameleons but that didn't go well, now I'll try some nymphs with the frogs..so all is not lost!!!!....LOL...

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Phyllobates (except probably lugubris), larger Ameerga, and sometimes Epipedobates and Galacs will go for them. While the larger Dendrobates are around the same sizes as the before mentioned groups, the dubia nymphs seem just a little *too* large - they may go after them but stink at actually getting them in their mouths! Then you just end up with roaches all over the tank...

Bowl feeding with a glazed ceramic bowl has been the best for me. Once the frogs figure out when you've dumped food in it they head over and start stuffing their faces LOL. I think the fact that the frogs that take larger food items tend to grab and hold (with mouths and limbs if needed) rather than just flicking their tongues is why they are so much better at feeding on them. The nymphs are just heavy enough to flick off tongues if nothing else is involved!

If you use a dish and leave it in there, remember to wipe the bowl clean before you put the roaches in - they are VERY good at finding anything they can grip, and only nice clean smooth glass will keep them in place! Removing the bowl when they are done and cleaning it is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the dubia for a short time and have got used to them. I still don't like them but they don't gross me out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dubia roaches are hands down my favorite insect prey to deal with. Throw in old greens/veggies and make sure there are some water crystals. Supplement with a high protein dry food like a good fish food once in a while, add a little heat, and forget about them. The only problem is that I gave them a little too much food once and caused a natural fruit fly spawn in their tank so now I have to get some fly paper or something.

Oh, by the way. Have a leaky tank that you've repaired for the last time? Use it for your dubia colony! They're just too darn easy to keep and breed easily and readily.

I'm really excited to hear that some larger species can take them. I have them for my tarantulas right now, but I'm glad my booming colony can serve multiple purposes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts