Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to grow a Dryadella zebrina in my paludarium. I'm wondering how moist or wet it can be, and how much shade it likes.

I have a spot where there is some moist/wet wood, and it's beneath a bromeliad. I'd like to plant it on the wet wood in the shade there.

Andy's Orchids sells the plant in a pot and says 'moist/daily watering', so I assume it can be wetter than say, something they sell attached to a stick. Should I be concerned about rot? (it's not super wet, but it would not ever dry out). Would I want to remove potting media and go bare-root in this situation?

Also I don't want to put it in so much shade that it becomes lanky, but I want it to be cool and happy. I have a 2 x 24W T5HO light setup, and the orchid would be beneath a bromeliad at about 12" beneath the lights. I know that isn't really any scientific measurement of light level but I'm hoping it will help enough.

Oh, one more thing, the plant would be growing flat on a horizontal surface, as opposed to mounted on a vertical surface.

What do you think?

thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you been to the IOSPE page yet?...

IOSPE PHOTOS
Thanks! That's a great resource. I'll bookmark it. Although it gives me a pretty good idea / start on the conditions for it, I was hoping also to get expert opinions regarding the described growing situation in my tank. I am not sure how to determine what semi-shaded means in terms of artificial light in a viv because shade outside and shade under fluorescent lights are completely different in terms of actual light levels. Also although it says well drained I wonder if I could still pull off growing it on the moist wood...perhaps bare root if it would help. Not sure if it requires a soil type media or not

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I wouldnt put it there. In my exp. it likes a bit more light than what that sounds like...ESPECIALLY that far from the lights. Under a brom would be much more ideal at the top of the tank

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt put it there. In my exp. it likes a bit more light than what that sounds like...ESPECIALLY that far from the lights. Under a brom would be much more ideal at the top of the tank
Ok great, thanks for the advice. I think I have a spot just like you described. This spot would also be attached to a piece of wood. Can dryadella zebrina be mounted on wood if it has a bit of sphagnum to keep up the moisture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts