Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience culturing these? I purchased a culture and have tried making more with the techniques I have successfully used for melanogaster but so far no results. I am assuming their life cycle is considerably longer.

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
I was about to try them, but heard they can be tough to work with. My melanogasters are great, but still working on getting some better hydei production.

Lance said:
Anyone have experience culturing these? I purchased a culture and have tried making more with the techniques I have successfully used for melanogaster but so far no results. I am assuming their life cycle is considerably longer.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mine do great! From my original 2 cultures I made ten, and I am working on making more now. I used my regular melagoster mix, except equal parts mix and water/vinegar. It is the same mix kyle uses. After about 15 days they explode with flies. As long as the media is a little drier they will do fine. The media may appear a little dry at first but the larvae will liquify it. These are definitely worthy of culturing since they have a shorter lifespan than hydei, but they are larger than melangoster. My few week old vents can even eat buzzati, and my imitators can also eat buzzati.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts