Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Define "a few dots of silicone" ... I use more than what I would consider a few dots to hold each piece of cork bark for my cork bark mosaic backgrounds. I presume that those pieces weigh less than a 12x12" tree fern panel.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've never used tree fern panel but I've fastened sheet pieces of Matala and Hygrolon with such dots.
  • I make a grid of dots, each dot about the size of a dime, as thick as a small bead from the tube (I usually do a little coil).
  • Perimeter (outside of dot-grid) is maybe an inch in from the panel edges.
  • Spacing between dots is maybe 2-3 inches.
  • Grid of dots fills the whole space behind the sheet or panel.

But yeah, fundamentally - you bet. No need for a full smear, unless you're also doing that to obscure the view through the glass. The dot-grid uses less silicone, I do know that. Quite a bit less. I would just be sure to put enough dots on - "a few" is asking for trouble, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Define "a few dots of silicone" ... I use more than what I would consider a few dots to hold each piece of cork bark for my cork bark mosaic backgrounds. I presume that those pieces weigh less than a 12x12" tree fern panel.
i siliconed and superglued the panels to eggcrate light diffuser, then siliconed 4 pieces of pvc to the glass, the put silicone on the rims of the pvp and set the egg crate down. will the silicone dry to the plastic eggcrate?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
OK now I'm confused. Your material stack looks like this?
glass (silicone) 4 PVC lengths (silicone) eggcrate (silicone / superglue) tree fern panels

Uhhhhh fuck, my brain....this is a drip wall right? Not a false bottom? You want water running through the tree fern, not behind it, right?

Did you consider just siliconing the tree fern panels right to the glass?

will the silicone dry to the plastic eggcrate?
The silicone will cure. But the adhesion is not especially robust - it's better if you put down quite a bit of silicone and moosh the eggcrate into it so it gooshes up into each cell a little bit and contacts many sides of the plastic matrix.

I think your assembly is weak. ESPECIALLY the PVC to eggcrate union. Besides the fact that silicone doesn't adhere all that well to many plastics - let alone to join plastic to plastic! - there is just so damn little surface area in this application.

Full stop here. Try pulling it all apart. I reckon that, if you want to keep it, the eggcrate can stay (but fer fuck's sake toss those PVC pieces - they're shit for your dripwall application). But if you want to keep the eggcrate, don't skimp on the silicone to adhere it to the glass. I've torn down vivs with eggcrate siliconed to glass. The chemical bond is not that strong, certainly not for a vertical situation with any weight.

Others are most welcome to chime in. "Mileage may vary" and I don't claim any sort of expert anything here. Also - sorry if I'm all fucked up here and just wildly misunderstanding your desires and actions thus far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK now I'm confused. Your material stack looks like this?
glass (silicone) 4 PVC lengths (silicone) eggcrate (silicone / superglue) tree fern panels

Uhhhhh fuck, my brain....this is a drip wall right? Not a false bottom? You want water running through the tree fern, not behind it, right?

Did you consider just siliconing the tree fern panels right to the glass?

The silicone will cure. But the adhesion is not especially robust - it's better if you put down quite a bit of silicone and moosh the eggcrate into it so it gooshes up into each cell a little bit and contacts many sides of the plastic matrix.

I think your assembly is weak. ESPECIALLY the PVC to eggcrate union. Besides the fact that silicone doesn't adhere all that well to many plastics - let alone to join plastic to plastic! - there is just so damn little surface area in this application.

Full stop here. Try pulling it all apart. I reckon that, if you want to keep it, the eggcrate can stay (but fer fuck's sake toss those PVC pieces - they're shit for your dripwall application). But if you want to keep the eggcrate, don't skimp on the silicone to adhere it to the glass. I've torn down vivs with eggcrate siliconed to glass. The chemical bond is not that strong, certainly not for a vertical situation with any weight.

Others are most welcome to chime in. "Mileage may vary" and I don't claim any sort of expert anything here. Also - sorry if I'm all fucked up here and just wildly misunderstanding your desires and actions thus far.
This dripwall will be in the bottom half of an ikea milsbo so i can’t let the water touch the glass. the water will drip into a basin

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
This dripwall will be in the bottom half of an ikea milsbo so i can’t let the water touch the glass. the water will drip into a basin
I looked that up. Neat cabinet.

I trust this isn't going to house animals? It might be worth it, while you have people's attention, to elaborate on what your goal is. I can see many ways this could fail to come together. Apologies if you've got all the details worked out, or don't appreciate the intrusion -- no offense intended, truly. It just looks like a way more challenging build than the silicone question suggests might be practical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I trust this isn't going to house animals? It might be worth it, while you have people's attention, to elaborate on what your goal is. I can see many ways this could fail to come together. Apologies if you've got all the details worked out, or don't appreciate the intrusion -- no offense intended, truly. It just looks like a way more challenging build than the silicone question suggests might be practical.
nope! it’s just for plants, i will get a picture

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

making a tree fern dripwall for climbing and epiphyte plants

1 - 9 of 9 Posts