Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 20 high aquarium that im beggining to setup and i want to drill it for drainage. Im slightly aware on how to do this but i just dont if you can drill tanks with tempered glass of what I heard if they are tempered they cant really be drilled i dont know if its true or not but id like to know

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know if aqueon glass is tempered? I think it is im not positive thought

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes now i can finally hook up a drainage system instead of syphoning everything out which gets really annoying thanks Doug

·
Registered
891 Posts
Before you buy a tank be sure to look the company information up. They will tell you if they use tempered glass and where they use it. I had to special order my 90 gallon to find a company that did not use tempered glass on the bottom. You tend to have better luck with smaller tanks, as the weight load is much less than the larger ones.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Conventionally, the answer is no. you cannot drill tempered glass.

Can you put a hole in it? Yes.

To put a 1/2" hole in the bottom, you need to build a dam around where your hole will go with plumber's putty. and mix a LOT of jewelers rouge with water to make a paste. Fill the dam with water. apply alot of the paste to the end of the copper pipe, and with your drill press on the lowest speed, SLOWLY apply constant preasure. You aren't trying to drill a hole. You are basically sanding away layers under the circumference of the pipe to create a hole.

Take your time.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Conventionally, the answer is no. you cannot drill tempered glass.

Can you put a hole in it? Yes.

To put a 1/2" hole in the bottom, you need to build a dam around where your hole will go with plumber's putty. and mix a LOT of jewelers rouge with water to make a paste. Fill the dam with water. apply alot of the paste to the end of the copper pipe, and with your drill press on the lowest speed, SLOWLY apply constant preasure. You aren't trying to drill a hole. You are basically sanding away layers under the circumference of the pipe to create a hole.

Take your time.
This is not true. I've been working with glass professionally for 20+ years. Here is a link with a bit about tempered and toughened glass. Toughened glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If glass was properly tempered it cannot be drilled. It cannot be cut. It cannot even have the edge sanded more than perhaps a sixteenth of an inch before the entire pane will shatter into fingernail sized pieces.
Advising people to attempt to drill or cut tempered glass is irresponsible at best. If anyone thinks that they have drilled tempered glass then one of a few things happened:
1) they were misinformed and the tank was not tempered.
2) There was a mistake in manufacturing and the glass was not tempered.
3) The glass was labeled as tempered but was in reality, lightly toughened.
Even if the glass was toughened and you successfully drill it, you should be aware that the balance of the tensile stresses have now been interrupted. It may last for years or it may shatter into a thousand pieces at any time for no apparent reason whatsoever.
Do NOT attempt to drill tempered glass. It cannot be done reliably and consistently by anyone.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Well, It sure did work! My neighbor who just happens to own a glass company as well showed me how to do it. It wasn't cut, or drilled. It was slowly polished away. As he explained it, steel wool will scratch tempered glass, so he tried jeweler's rouge one day and it worked.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Then is was mislabeled, a mistake at the company, or was actually only slightly toughened rather than fully tempered. Toughened glass is usually labeled as tempered because no one has heard of toughened. If he drilled it, or polished a hole into it, or whatever you choose to call it, it was NOT fully tempered.
That's fine that your neighbor just happens to own a glass company. So do I.;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've worked at a glass company for around 9 years, and I'm with Doug 100% on this one. Everyone, please don't try to cut, drill or put holes of any kind in your tempered glass unless you want it to go BOOM :eek:

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Does it really go BOOM?
It really does Scott. It's not like an earth-shattering explosion, but it will make you jump! Maybe like a balloon popping, but much deeper. The glass instantly breaks up into thousands of pieces, none bigger than about 1/4". In most places it is required by law in and near doors and shower enclosures (and other places), to prevent serious injury if a door is slammed or you slip in the shower.
I'm glad it worked for you. Yours was probably slightly toughened, but labeled tempered, which is common enough. Problem is, most of them are going to be fully tempered. So advising people that it can be done on a regular basis, is going to cost some people some money.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yes! I've seen big 3/8" frameless shower doors "blow up" and it's definately not something you want to be around. If it happened to someone while drilling, I think it would scare the crap out of them.
Chris, I once had a full sized 34" x 76" patio door explode over my head and walked away without a scratch!:eek: That's the beauty of tempered glass!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok. Pumilo.. Why didnt you just bring up your incredible history with Glass!!! Seriously.. I mean. NOW I get it why you don't like Acrylic!!! You could have just said " David...I'm the glass king, and I could make you or anyone on Dendroboard my " b_tch" .. JOKE :) No seriously... Working with Glass is an ART!! Not easy to do by any stretch of the word..Well..anyway.. Had to get that off my chest... Sorry everyone.. Back to the topic this thread is really about...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Ok. Pumilo.. Why didnt you just bring up your incredible history with Glass!!! Seriously.. I mean. NOW I get it why you don't like Acrylic!!! You could have just said " David...I'm the glass king, and I could make you or anyone on Dendroboard my " b_tch" .. JOKE :) No seriously... Working with Glass is an ART!! Not easy to do by any stretch of the word..Well..anyway.. Had to get that off my chest... Sorry everyone.. Back to the topic this thread is really about...
David, you crack me up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts