Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN MY OPINION, drilling glass is very doable on 10 and 20 gallon tanks! Just make sure that the glass is not tempered! I had never attempted it before now and cranked out 15 holes of various sizes with no problems! You need patience and should proceed very slowly in terms of the drill speed. I start with a fast drill speed to get the hole started and reduce it almost immediately. The amount of pressure placed on the drill is almost none existent. Depending on the drill you use, the weight alone tends to be enough to bore a hole. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes per hole, which seems like an eternity.

The prices of everything needed starts to add up, but it would cost you close to $30 a hole from an aquarium store. Many do not offer such services.

Refer to Ben's site under the 'Building Vivariums' heading for further instruction:

http://www.thechocohut.com/

Here's what you need and where to get it:

1. For drains to fit a 1/2" Bulkhead, I use:
1 1/4" diamond core drill bit = $30.95

2. For Rainmaker misting heads, I use:
3/8" diamond core drill bit = $16.95

3. 1/2" Bulkheads = $4.40
w/a purchase of 10 or more

4. Craftsman Drill Guide from sears = $26.99 w/out tax.

I got both of the drill bits from the first internet site under the 'drill bits' heading, the bulkheads from the second website listed and the drill guide from the third:

1. http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/MAIN.htm
2. http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6843/cid/1860
3. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00967173000

Sincerely,

G

·
dmartin72 said:
IN MY OPINION, drilling glass is very doable on tempered 10 and 20 gallon tanks!
You can't drill tempered glass.
The glass on 10's and 20's are not tempererd, and I don't think they put in tempered bottoms until 40 gallons. I am glad the page helped out. It is much easier than most people think. Another place to get bits is CyberRock Hound.
Now you have a skill to trade for frogs ;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EDIT. I remember someone saying that all aquariums used tempered glass and since I drilled many tanks, I assumed incorrectly that you could drill tempered glass. I was drilling both 10's and 20 highs. Thanks for the clarification Ben!

Bgreen said:
You can't drill tempered glass.
The glass on 10's and 20's are not tempererd, and I don't think they put in tempered bottoms until 40 gallons. I am glad the page helped out. It is much easier than most people think. Another place to get bits is CyberRock Hound.
Now you have a skill to trade for frogs ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
No, in fact, very few small aquariums use tempered, and even the ones that do only temper the bottom piece. I have yet to come across a tank that had tempered sides. My 50G reef tank and my 75G tank both have a tempered bottom. Best thing to do is contact the manufacturer to find what is tempered and what isn't. But like Ben said, you cannot drill tempered glass. You will end up with a million small pieces of glass that way. :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankfully, I only drilled the sides of an All Glass, Perfecto and one other brand that escapes me! I'm glad I didn't drill the bottom.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like 37 gallon and larger tanks are tempered and therefore off-limits except for a 40 gallon breeder. Everything below that has drillable bottoms.

What is the'moat' drilling method?

Thanks again,

David

Bgreen said:
Here is the tech page for the All Glass aquariums:
http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html

I have pics of the "moat" drilling method, I just need to load them on the site. Just like the of 15 things... lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
did you ever eat mashed potatoes at a restaurant. they give you gravy in the indented part of the potatoes. that is sort of an example. you would put a "dam" like modeling clay around the hole to be drilled and fill it with your "cooling liquid" that way you don't have to keep on spraying the hole that is being drilled.
hope i made some sense.
walt

G

·
That's a good way explain it.

We use DAP 33' Glazing and build a moat around the area we want to drill the hole. Fill this with cutting fluid (water, antifreeze, or a special cutting fluid) and drill away.

·
Registered
665 Posts
To add the Mistking system to my 10 gallon verticle tanks I drilled 18 holes so far and used some modeling clay to build a small reservoir to hold the water and filled it about 1/4" so running water isnt a necessity. I highly recommend a drill guide, such as the one by sears as it really helps getting the hole started and keeping the bit centered.

rob

G

·
I just started drilling glass this past weekend. It seems rather easy I've only drilled a few holes but I can say this don't rush The 1st hole I drilled I used to much force toward the end of it and cracked the glass. Opps but hey we live and we learn after the first one I haven't broke another one. Also I'm just using a handheld misting bottle to spray it down with water every 10 seconds or so.

P.S. If you plan on drilling a bunch you should think about buying/ borrowing a drill Press.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts