Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if anyone thinks drilling a series of holes in front of large aquarium conversions like you do for a singular rear bulkhead and covering them with mesh (im thinking hard plastics) sounds like something good? I see alot of people using their old tanks so i started to wonder. Especially if they are big with thick panes.

I dont mean vertical conversions but regular footprint - down tanks.

Like same general distance from the bottom as exo terras front vents. For a similar dynamic.

If someone has a big old tank it might be worth the risk.

But is it impossible to drill 2 or more holes in same pane?

Is there any way to stabilize the pane from vibration?

Would it make the pane too weak and be a danger of future spontaneous fracture i just thought of that this second but im going to post this anyway.

Maybe with acrylic tanks..

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
I've never done it on a front pane, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

One of my tanks (a 33G vertical conversion) was previously drilled (by a different owner) to have a drain and return for a sump system, with the holes being on the same pane of glass (which is the back of the tank in the orientation I have it in for my setup. It presumably would have been weight bearing in its original use as an aquarium.

drilling multiple vent holes in a front pane has often been suggested on here as a way to make a top opening tank vent better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why not just use fans to move the air? I use these little 25mm 12v fans. They create a little puff of air movement. Blowing room air into the tank creates enough air movement with out drying the tank out too much.

I have a 35g hex that only has 2 2" holes in the top for ventilation. With 2 fans blowing in 24 hrs a day the tank breaths really well without getting too dry if I don't keep up with my misting,

I preferer passive ventilation like you are trying to create but, fans are easy and cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s easy to do multiple holes on an already assembled tank if you’re setup for it and it’s 10mm or thicker glass. Using something like a portable drill press from CR Lawrence and building a water dam out of plumbers putty is going to going to work best. You could probably get away with a drill guide if you were careful and went slow at the end, that’s when it’s most likely to bind IME.

Having said that there’s a better way to accomplish what you want, I’d clamp a straight edge to it and use a rotary tool with some diamond bits to cut a slot. A router with speed control might work even better although it’s something I haven’t tried yet.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im pretty happy with exoterra, but have noticed alot of people going the got a spare aquarium route. Didnt know it has been discussed already but im glad to surface refresh of data.

Im too addicted to front opening enclosures to go back.

Great directives Mw42. Perhaps its timing is kismet for someone!

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having said that there’s a better way to accomplish what you want, I’d clamp a straight edge to it and use a rotary tool with some diamond bits to cut a slot. A router with speed control might work even better although it’s something I haven’t tried yet.
I think a slot gap is better too. Actually it would differ in permeability than holes. In a way thats better.

I have gotten a set of power tools for my viv works. As i no longer can sustain certain work positions with my saws and such with my back. Maybe someday i could try this just to get a feel if i run into a tank. Im sure it will mean some glass to clean up but what the heck.

Hey thanks for posting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts