Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am in the planning stages of a new tank. I think I want to build the tank from scratch and make a rimless column tank. I also want the tank to be viewable from all sides with no cables or tubes running down the sides. To accomplish this I would have a pvc pipe running up the middle of the tank that would be made to look like a stump with lots of driftwood coming out of it. The question then becomes is it possible to drill a 2 inch or larger hole without professional gear. I have read a bunch of tutorials especially Doug's but none of them cover really big holes and I am guessing the larger the hole the harder the job becomes.

So does anyone have an recommendations on how to accomplish this / what bits might work.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty good tutorial.
I just purchased the cheap bits from Hong Kong listed on ebay. Worked great.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/79187-inexpensive-way-do-vents-glass.html

The exact bit I purchased, they sent two in a package; only needed one for many holes.
60mm Diamond Ceramic Tile Glass Hole Saw Drill Bits Tool | eBay

Thanks for the links. Couple questions, in the tutorial he says to use a 60mm drill for 2inch pvc pipe but 60mm is 2.36 inches. Was that a mistake shouldn't it be 50mm (1.968 inches ). Also did the drill bit you ordered arrive quickly?

Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for the links. Couple questions, in the tutorial he says to use a 60mm drill for 2inch pvc pipe but 60mm is 2.36 inches. Was that a mistake shouldn't it be 50mm (1.968 inches ). Also did the drill bit you ordered arrive quickly?

Thanks
All pipe is measured by the inside diameter. Outside diameter is exact fit.
Arrived in about ten days.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It IS little confusing about the ID/OD measurements of certain things....is there some sort of quick reference guide to that??? It has taken me forever to get the right sizes of plumbing things for my tanks, and for the couple of water features outdoors...just because of that...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is quite confusing especially since all the drill bits I am looking at are in metric and the pvc sizes are not. If I go with a 1.5 inch pvc pipe, would the 50mm bit be correct?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Thanks
That is my tutorial :)

The OD of 2" black abs piping is 60mm almost perfectly, which is why I use that size.

for 1.5" black abs piping, I use a 47mm bit.

Also, keep in mind that you will probably want to do a bulk head at the glass rather than pvc straight through. Get the size of bulkhead you want and get the drill bit for what the bulkhead recommends. ;)

Good luck. I purchased a small drill press from harbor freight for like $70 bucks for doing the larger holes, and consider that one of my best purchases ever. LAst night I drilled five holes in under 10 minutes ......

ed parker

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
All the glass experts are here I must steal some knowledge. Is it possible todo a 6 inch hole? I know its huge but I need it to be large enough for a full grown box turtle!
That's not going to be cheap. MY COST on a 6" diamond drill bit is $284! EDD6 - CRL 6" Standard Plated Diamond Drill I think your best bet is going to be asking around at local glass shops until you find somebody willing to try cutting a 6" hole with a glass cutter. That won't be easy either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts