Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate was going to toss out this piece of driftwood that he took home from a film shoot, and I, of course, told him I would take it off his hands. I would like to use it in a PDF tank, but I have no idea, nor he, what type of wood it is, and if it would be safe to use in a tank.

In case this is relevant, it measures roughly 30" long...

Thank you for any input!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It's looks like a bleached piece of Malaysian to me. I have a piece of Malaysian with similiar grooves in it. I have seen ghostwood that looks like that also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've used MANY different species of driftwood in pdf tanks without having many issues. Of course grapewood rots and molds and some others have different levels of degredation.

Soak it in a tub of dechlorinated wated for 24hrs then if you have a pressure washer, clean the heck out of it with no chemicals. If you've used chemicals in the sprayer let it run for awhile until all of them are fully flushed out of the system. You should be good. It looks like a really old piece. The saps and so on should be well gone by now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some unfortunate news... It turns out that the wood is cedar! I broke it to make it fit in my tank better, smelled it because of the color of the wood, and cedar! Is the wood a lost cause at this point??

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont know about a total lost cause as I have used cedar roots and everything went okay with the frogs, didnt seem to affect them what so ever. But I would wait for someone else to chime in on this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have heard that with reptiles cedar is a bad idea. I have no experience or knowledge that cedar is bad for amphibians. I do know of a guy who sells cedar driftwood up north. He sand blasts his stuff and then kiln fires it... No clue if that helps with anything or not chemically.

Hopefully someone else has facts about cedar and frogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts