Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been digging around the site and have seen several different answers to the following question so I just want to see if there is some actual variability or if there is a set way to do things now.

I have a nice large lake near me that I can collect driftwood from. How much do I need to sanitize them? Just scrubbing and drying out like I have seen in a couple of posts here or should I be bleach bathing it like I've seen in a couple of other posts. Or is either way acceptable? These pieces are too large to bake or boil also.
Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello,

I have been digging around the site and have seen several different answers to the following question so I just want to see if there is some actual variability or if there is a set way to do things now.

I have a nice large lake near me that I can collect driftwood from. How much do I need to sanitize them? Just scrubbing and drying out like I have seen in a couple of posts here or should I be bleach bathing it like I've seen in a couple of other posts. Or is either way acceptable? These pieces are too large to bake or boil also.
Thanks!
I cook mine in the oven, just soak em some and then cook em. Be careful though don't let em burn.
Edit I just read the last part, A bleach solution soak should be fine, just remember to soak them again in clean water afterwards

·
Registered
126 Posts
I always recommend buying hardscape. In my opinion, collecting driftwood yourself is not worth the risk. When you buy wood, you are getting a tried and true product that you know will work well in your enclosure, and be safe for your animals and plants. However, most commercially available driftwood is collected in the wild, so there is always an inherent risk. When I buy driftwood, I boil it for a day, then bake it at 200*F for a day. You probably have to do more with local wood.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Collecting your own driftwood is great. GREAT!!! It gets you outside, it satisfies the human need to hunt and gather, and it ensures you're not contributing to some BS somewhere else. Also, it helps you not feel like an idiot for paying quite a lot of money for what is, after all, just a stick. Just a stick, man.

As for biosecurity concerns, I think it's really a matter of your own threshold of concern, combined with reality. Reality as in, what hostile chemical or biological agents might come home with you in that wood?

One way - as you already know - that you can treat biological agents is with heat. So your pieces are too large to fit in an oven. Lucky you! You could rig up some sort of solar oven if you have some driveway space. As always, think (dose * duration). If you can go long, you don't have to go so hot. Plus, if the wood is thick, it's gonna take a while to heat up the interior.

If you also had some chemical concerns you might try to boil, or at least poach, the wood. If you have space and the pieces are less than about 4 feet long, you can do this in a clean 55-gal barrel. You can find used, food-grade (not to say clean, but it never held hydraulic fluid!) steel ones for 10 or 20 bucks. Be sure to look for open top not closed top. Put the barrel on some concrete blocks and get some fire under it. Propane if you can, wood or charcoal if you must. Steel barrels are awesome, they have all kinds of uses. If you have some space.

You can also use a household steam cleaner on long skinny pieces. We have one (good cleaner) we use on showers, some floors, and similar stuff. It works crazy good. Careful though. Steam is hot. Ha ha. Any home - even a little apartment - can use a steamer.

good hunting!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks!
What are you going to do with the drift wood? Put it in a dart frog enclosure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input! It's been informative. I actually ended up scrubbing it really good and then cutting it down to fit into the oven Haha. Seemed the most practical thing to do. It looks great and worked into the background of the Leuc tank I'm working on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts