Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
There are a few ways. You can drill a hole through the glass and install some sort of bulkhead, you can put a piece of pvc pipe in the substrate and cover it so it isn't visible, and just uncover it to siphon water out, or you can make a water feature and siphon it out from there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Draining False Bottom

I went with bulkheads in the bottom of my vivarium for drainage. The false bottom in my vivarium is about 1.5" high and the substrate is over that.

G

·
draining a tank

Jordan,

Both the other posts are great suggestions. But if you do not want to drill the tank. You can also put a piece of clear tube in the front corner of the viv and plug it with a piece of cotton or foam. Then when the falsebottom needs drained, just pull out the plug and use a piece of air tubing to siphon out the water, just like you would for a fish tank. The clear tubing can be found at a pet store. I believe they use it for under gravel filters. make sure you plug the tube though, because your frogs will go down into it.

G

·
The older rack in from the lab had small overflows with drilled drains. Thomas Villegas gave me the idea and I played with my limited handymanness. The drains had a small tube which fed into a PVC piece that was on a 1" decline. The PVC collection met on the one side to collect in a large trash can. It is important to note that that was with a misting system as well.
j

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Drilled on the side or bottom of the tank?

G

·
The bottom. The new acrylic tanks (from Mark at Understory Enterprises) will be drilled and have spickets on them when I find the time. Those won't need to be drained as often, so I don't need the overflow the same way.
j

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Justin,

How often is not too often?

David

Yeager said:
The bottom. The new acrylic tanks (from Mark at Understory Enterprises) will be drilled and have spickets on them when I find the time. Those won't need to be drained as often, so I don't need the overflow the same way.
j

G

·
The old setup went through about 7 gallons of water daily for 12 tanks. This one won't be misted in that quantity. I'll have these hand misted since they have a different design with the air vents to keep the front clear. The old ones were for D. pumilio, so I liked them drying out a bit in between mistings (and it had a screen top).
j

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Justin,

How are those new tanks doing? Does the vent work well to keep the condensation off the front and humidity levels up?

G

·
I haven't finished setting mine up yet, but all the ones I've seen at Mark's (3 years worth) were perfect. I was really really impressed-- and that doesn't happen all that often. I'll definitely be outfitting the whole lab with is tanks. My professor had never seen anything like them either, and the weight is also fantastic.
j

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Justin,

You did a group purchase from Understory Enterprises, correct? How many tanks did you buy collectively and how much did you pay per tank? How long did it take to drive to Canada and back - 18 hrs total?

G

·
We did do a group order, but more of a group shipping. Everyone paid for their own tanks, and I picked them up and brought them back (thanks to mom's van-- which she never noticed had a few thousand extra miles...). As for the drive-- it depends on the directions, but it is definitely less than 18 hours. I think with very few stops and good (aka not mapquest) directions would be around 11 hours or so. When I get back from Peru, I'll probably go back up to get more tanks again. If you wanted some, he can also ship the smaller ones. Mark has spent a long time developing them over the past few years, and having a frog person designing the tanks and testing them for that long really made a great product. I'm no spokesperson, but I really am impressed with them and enjoy them. My back certainly appreciates it too as opposed to having to carry aquariums.
j

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What kind of design is the front as to keep it clear of condensation?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I was looking at a picture of one and it looks as if there is a vent on the front at the bottom of the tank and one on the top towards the front. The vent on the front of the tank at the bottom feeds into another vent (closely spaced) facing the top of the tank near front of the tank. This allows air to come in from the bottom and continue along the front acrylic and out the top. Check it out:

http://www.understoryenterprises.com/darttank.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts