Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank setup with a false bottom, i tried setting up a misting system but within a few days the false bottom filled up and started filling up past the soil line. Is there any way to fix this without dismantling the tank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
How often are you misting and for how long? Do you have a glass lid or a screen top to keep in humidity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just take a tube and suck out some water. You could just use a fogger instead of a mister too. not sure if that will help.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes how much do you mist? I've had one of my tanks set up for 3 months and don't havge any water in the bottom! Infact, none of my tanks havge any water in them... I'm starting to think if i'm gonna do a FB next build cause of that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking maybe i was just misting too much, i think it was for about 10min twice per day, since its coming out of the tap and on mains pressure its pumping out a bit of water. Currently i'm hand misting and its fine, maybe set it up again with a pressure reducer and cut down to 1min twice per day?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was thinking maybe i was just misting too much, i think it was for about 10min twice per day, since its coming out of the tap and on mains pressure its pumping out a bit of water. Currently i'm hand misting and its fine, maybe set it up again with a pressure reducer and cut down to 1min twice per day?
one minute ONCE a day is more than enough, let alone twice a day for 10 minutes. Seriously. I would only mist once a week if I didn't have plants. My humidity with a full glass top is 90%+ all day/night misting about 5 squirts from mist bottle a day.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

the amount of misting required is dependent on the drainage of the tank, the air flow into and out of the tank, any heating, as well as the source of misting.
It is hard to get a guess from people unless they are actually working with the tank in the exact same conditions. If the tank is flooding that is a good indication that you are pumping too much water into the tank but if you split up the misting time to several shorter times a day, then the time required for the system to prime also reduces the total flow into the tanks and may be better suited for your needs (or it could be in total excess).

If you are not using RO or distilled water to mist and then you also have to worry about salt buildup in the water and substrate in the tank as salts are not removed when the water evaporates. This can show up as a whitish crust on high points in the enclosure (much like whitish crust that shows up on the soil or pot of house plants).

It takes some trials to get a misting schedule down to what you need it to do as opposed to being under or overkill.

As a sidenote, you may want to also check the ventilation in the tank, as too little ventilation can be a potential problem.

Ed

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I mist like 10secs twice a day...
Use R/O or distilled water not tap water. Your viv will remain deposit free and I'm sure tap water is not good at all for PDFs with the chemicals in it :/
If you don't wanna invest in a R/O system then you can get distilled water cheap.
I get mine for 59¢ a gallon at my local grocery store but I called and made sure that hey actually distill it and they told me they R/O filter it then distill it.

I use an aquarium tube and a large syringe to suck out the water if there is any.
Just cut a small slit and suck out the water the push the tube down and then lay it over and cover it with substrate

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, i do have excess ventilation, i have to mist daily to prevent it drying out and killing the mosses (tend to forget which is why i wanted a misting system). I'll have to get a pump sorted and get a ro kit, i'm going to need it if i really wanna succeed, as you guys pointed out the salt will build up and will kill plants.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
thanks guys, i do have excess ventilation, i have to mist daily to prevent it drying out and killing the mosses (tend to forget which is why i wanted a misting system). I'll have to get a pump sorted and get a ro kit, i'm going to need it if i really wanna succeed, as you guys pointed out the salt will build up and will kill plants.
Idk about salt killing plants but it will dirty up your glass and it will stick on there bad and you will have to use a scraper to get it off.
I used tap water for my turtle and from the water line up has a layer of buildup and I have been trying to get it off there forever.
Close of the vents some and you should solve your humidity issue...

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

Frequency of misting does not necessarily indicate that there is too much ventilation as there are also factors like differences between external and internal temperatures and humidity, temperature differences and so forth..

If possible, use a good misting system and a timer that allows you program it down to the seconds.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts