Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering if there was any reason I couldn't use perilite for my drainage layer instead of LECA?

The way I use drainage materials, the animals would never come into contact with the material.

The reason I ask is I've tried two different brands of LECA, and they both bring the pH of my R.O. water up over the highest level of my test kit (7.6 pH)

I know I could just do a false bottom, but I prefer to have substrate for beneficial bacteria, and springtails etc.

What I'm shooting for is when I finally redo my mantella tank, I'd like to have their pond in the mid 6's for the pH, though they are doing fine now, it has been said that the tads do best with a pH the mid 6's.

Adding chemicals is not the answer, you can drop the pH to 6, and then the next day, it's off the charts again.
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
That's strange, I've seen LECA advertised as not affecting PH at all. I don't see any real harm in using perlite per se, but it does cause a PH of 6.0-8.0, which doesn't seem to help your problem at all. Another option is to use crushed styrofoam or styrofoam peanuts, as long as they aren't biodegradable. If you want more info on perlite, check this website: http://www.perlite.net

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it dissapointing as well...both brands advertize on the package that they are pH neutral...If I didn't have to drive an hour and a half to take it back, I would. I can still use it for other stuff though.

Maybee it only happens with the R.O. water?

Thanks for the info on perilite.

"well back to the old drawing board"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I was wondering if there was any reason I couldn't use perilite for my drainage layer instead of LECA?

The way I use drainage materials, the animals would never come into contact with the material.

The reason I ask is I've tried two different brands of LECA, and they both bring the pH of my R.O. water up over the highest level of my test kit (7.6 pH)

I know I could just do a false bottom, but I prefer to have substrate for beneficial bacteria, and springtails etc.

What I'm shooting for is when I finally redo my mantella tank, I'd like to have their pond in the mid 6's for the pH, though they are doing fine now, it has been said that the tads do best with a pH the mid 6's.

Adding chemicals is not the answer, you can drop the pH to 6, and then the next day, it's off the charts again.
Thanks,
Hi,
when i was using RO water in my a

Thanks,
When I use ro water in aquariums, I have noticed that the pH of the water obtained from a reverse osmosis filter and stored in open containers increases with time. It seems that this happens when exposed to air.
It is possible that the increase in pH is related to this phenomenon and not to the type of material used for drainage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts