Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tank i am currently setting up will have dimensions of 36 x 24 x 30. It will sit on a stand and have a lighting hood. The problem i am faced with is how to get into the tank to feed, clean, etc. I'm thinking of getting a flip down door on the left side which will probably be 24 x 15 approx. So the top half of the side of the viv will be the flip down door. Now i ask, will the size of this door be a problem? Will humidity drop drastically when i open it? Any info would be super.

What type of door do you guys/gals use to access a larger viv?

-Luke

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Atleast you are thinking of this ahead of time. I have a large tank (36" tall x 24" long x 24" deep (90 gallons)) given to me as a gift and the only way to access it is through the top. I have long arms, but when it's on a 2' stand, it's rather hard. I think I will make it a nice naturalistic display so I don't have to mess with changing water, etc.

On topic of your post, I have been thinking the same thing. I recently got my plywood rack into my room and will start with the doors for the after all of the interior is done. I have one large tank (48" tall x 24" long x 24" deep (120 gallons)) that will need a door. I was thinking possibly sliding doors. Still unsure about it. A front opening door would be rather large.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I had a large tank similar to Dereks except it was 48" long, 36" tall, and 18" deep. It was extremely difficult to reach to the bottom when it was on its stand and I couldnt imagine trying to catch a frog in that tank. I eventually traded that tank when I realized how much it would cost just to set it up, and how heavy it would be. It took two people to move it when it was empty. However it gives you lots of room to work with, and you can make a real nice setup. I am looking forward to setting up a large tank soon, tommorow I am getting a large tank from my dad, it is about 100 gallons.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank will be 36 x 24 x 30 so it's very similar to the tanks described. I think i will go with a flip down door on one side which will let me get in there whenever i need to and still leave the front unobstructed.

-Luke

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I forgot to answer your question, but a side door would probably be best. Make sure it seals tight. What do you plan on putting in there.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Even I would have problems getting in a 3 foot tank from the side and I am 6 foot 8 inches. if you have really long arms you can reach the 3 foot length but if not you could run into the same problems. here is a pic of an open front tank you could look at.

well odd i havent had this happen in a long time you will just have to check out the link it wont post.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, with the door on the side i'll be able to pretty much reach everywhere. Thanks for the link josh...that's actually where i'm getting my tank from lol...it'll be the 90gl cube, but 6in taller. That is the kind of door that will be on the side...i'm not sure how well it will seal in the humidity, but if it is too loose i'll get that sticky door tape and put it on the edges.

I'm planning on putting in a colony of leucs and possible something else, but not sure about the second addition yet.

-Luke

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Luke,

Are you getting this at the White Plains Show I work for Twin Oaks but recently had back surgery I may or may not be going I have to see on the condition of my back. You will be pleased with the tank they are top quality.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, going to the white plains show. Hope your back gets better! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts