Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 12x12x24 custom tank, and I'm having trouble deciding what to do for the door. I thought about doing a two sliding doors on tracks, but they would only be about 5x18 inches each which seems kind of ridiculous. I think doing a single 11.5x18 door on a hinge would be best, but I can't figure out what type of hinge to use. Any suggestions? I have tried searching the board, but I couldn't find any recent answers.

These are hinges on the DOOA Paluda 30 and I really enjoy the sleek design. Any ideas how to recreate this or if i can purchase the correct size for my construction?

Wood Line Flooring Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Line Automotive tire Flooring Bumper

·
Registered
185 Posts
Those units are very expensive, and do not come in suitable sizes for dendrobatid enclosures (Or really any vertebrate enclosure)
I do not understand your concern about sliding doors. If you want a sleek design, I recommend going with sliding doors. Hardware is minimal, and the overlap line can be minimized with the proper glass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those units are very expensive, and do not come in suitable sizes for dendrobatid enclosures (Or really any vertebrate enclosure)
I do not understand your concern about sliding doors. If you want a sleek design, I recommend going with sliding doors. Hardware is minimal, and the overlap line can be minimized with the proper glass.
I agree they're expensive, and that's why I wanted to build my own tank. I am only concerned about sliding doors because they would be ~5.75 inches wide which seems pretty small to even fit my arm through. I figured one 11.5" wide door on a hinge would be better. I want the tank to be on my desk which is why it's so small yet tall. And, it will not house any dendrobatids. My main questions is for anyone who may have suggestions for a sleek, low profile type of hinge like the one pictured on the expensive tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I’m looking have a custom build put together in the next few months. These posts and excellent replies are soooo helpful. I’ll be picking everyone’s brain pretty soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts